Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

what the difference between conversational and fluency in a language?

what is the difference between say being conversational in Spanish or fluency in Spanish. what are the main differences. I dont know If I am fluent or conversational in Spanish. i think im fluent but not sure.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Renee
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Conversational fluency is the ability to interact in foreign language conversation. Therefore, it only requires a command of the language sufficient enough to convey a message, be understood, and comprehend the response, i.e. carry a basic conversation. You may still make errors in grammar, syntax, or word choice and you may still have to plan and think of what you are saying or how to say it, but you would still be considered conversant if you can do this at a relatively fluid pace with limited pauses/breaks and the other person can comprehend with minimal difficulty. At this level, you should be able to carry on everyday conversations and even make do in an immersion setting.

Fluency in a language is achieved when you can speak the language without breaks in fluidity, meaning that you no longer have to pause to think of the proper conjugation or word order, etc. The language is so well learned that you no longer have to actively think about/plan your sentences. Further, this should be the case in all components of language (reading, writing, comprehension, and speaking) to be considered completely fluent in a language. Often, reading and writing are more easily mastered than auditory comprehension and fluent speaking. Another difference between a conversational vs fluent language mastery is the proper usage, understanding and command of word nuances/connations as well as idiomatic phrases. Thus, being fluent is a bit more involved than just being able to carry on an everyday conversation.

• Erica
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avpOi

If you will be successful in achieving fluency in that time period depends on multiple things: * where do you start off? - Can you already follow a conversation? - Can you remember short sentences and repeat them in the correct situation? * how comfortable are you in an environment with only a foreign language to use? - Will you fall back to English if there is the chance to be understood speaking English? - Do you know some phrases to mark a paraphrase? - Are you comfortable paraphrasing? * how shy are you? - will you feel embarrassed when you figure out you said something inappropriate? - what is your reaction when you somehow disgraced yourself while trying to say the right thing? * your age - the younger the easier to learn a new language * difference between the new language and your native tongue or other language you already speak fluently - the larger the difference the harder to learn - grammar, spelling, pronunciation From what you describe I would expect that you will be capable to carry a simple conversation around the mid of your stay if there is really no chance of a fall back into English.

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

Source(s): Learn Chinese Easily http://enle.info/LearnChinese
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

what the difference between conversational and fluency in a language?

what is the difference between say being conversational in Spanish or fluency in Spanish. what are the main differences. I dont know If I am fluent or conversational in Spanish. i think im fluent but not sure.

Source(s): difference conversational fluency language: https://tr.im/M9w5m
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Conversational is being able to carry on a casual conversation with somebody on a number of subjects. It's usually not too deep but enough to get by in day to day life.

Fluency is being able to actually think in the language as if it were your own. You can talk about just about anything depending on your grasp of the subject at hand and are able to do more than just "get by".

• casson
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Define Conversational

• 1 decade ago

You are conversational in Spanish if you can hold a conversation in Spanish even a basic conversation.

You are fluent in Spanish, if you can speak, read, write, understand Spanish with the same fluency than your native language. When actually you are able to think in Spanish.

Source(s): Take a look at my profile.
  • Vera C
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Conversational is when you know enough to allow you to carry on an average conversation with someone in that language.

Fluent is when you know the language extremely well -- as if you came from that country.

• 5 years ago

basic or conversational language skills?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.