No more ultrasounds after 20 weeks?

Is it normal for a doctor to not schedule any more ultrasounds for a pregnancy after 20 weeks? I thought that it was customary to have one around 30 weeks to make sure things are still developing correctly... Then again, I know that there are still unanswered questions about an ultrasound's effect on a baby... still, did anyone else not have any more after 20 weeks?

Favorite Answer

The American Academy of Obstetricians and Gynecologists conducted a huge study and as a result says NO ULTRASOUNDS should be part of ROUTINE prenatal care. Ultrasounds should only be used when there is a legitimate medical concern. The routine use of ultrasounds -even if the ultrasound itself is 100% safe causes an increase in unnecessary tests and stress and many of these tests are not 100% safe. Routine ultrasound at best doesn't improve outcomes.

I am 8 months pregnant with my second and I have yet to have an ultrasound, and god willing no matter how many children I have I never will.

Routine Ultrasound in Low-Risk Pregnancy

http://www.aafp.org/afp/980201ap/briefs.html

http://www.mothering.com/articles/pregnancy_birth/...

In the US, the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology (ACOG) estimates that 60 to 70 percent of pregnant women are scanned, despite an official statement from ACOG that recommends against routine ultrasound.2 At a cost of roughly $300 per procedure, this represents a cost of approximately $70 to $80 million each year in the US.

Effect of Prenatal Ultrasound Screening on Perinatal Outcome

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/abstract/329/1...

http://www.marchofdimes.com/professionals/14332_11...

Many health care providers routinely offer low-risk women one ultrasound exam between 16 and 20 weeks of pregnancy. However, it is uncertain whether low-risk pregnant women benefit from routine ultrasound exams. A major study reported in 1993 found no significant difference between two groups of low-risk women (those who had two routine ultrasound exams and those who had an ultrasound only because there was some medical reason for it) in terms of the rate of preterm delivery, infant birthweight, serious complications in the newborn period or infant death (2).

I had to have an ultrasound after 20 weeks because the second ultrasound showed that my baby was in a breach presentation so they needed to see if she had turned around. If everything is fine as far as development goes up until 20 weeks, there is no need for an ultrasound after 20 weeks.

Most doctors only give a 20 week u/s unless there are health concerns. I'm a plus-size woman so when I was pregnant I received 6 ultrasounds to make sure my baby was developing normally. My first u/s was when I was 8 weeks pregnant to make sure I wasn't having twins.At my 20 u/s the doctor couldn't see all the chambers of my daughters heart and I had to be sent to a specialist but everything turned out fine. Then I had another 2 to make sure everything was still developing normally and the last to see how big she was before my labor was induced. I hope this info helps.

With my first two children, I only got one ultrasound each at 20 weeks. But with my 3rd daughter, I got one at 20 weeks and then 3 more after, but that was because I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes with her, so the doctor wanted to keep an eye on how big she was growing. But yes usually one ultrasound is good, unless there is a health issue.

With my first daughter I didnt have any ultrasounds after the 20 week scan.

With my second daughter at the 20 week scan we found she had multiple cysts on one kidney. So I had many ultrasounds after that. So we could check how the cysts were growing and keep on eye on them the incase she needed any special medical treatment during and or after birth.

Its perfectly normal as it means everything is going well with baby and you.

Unless there is a problem with the babys position, size or movement the 20 scan is the only scan you will have- I had to have one @ 32 weeks with my first due to the doctors concern my baby was to big to fit through my small framed pelvis and he was questioning giving me a c-section but with my second the 20 week scan was the last that I had.

• Ann W

Many doctors only do one ultrasound during the entire pregnancy, unless there are reasons to believe there is something the matter with the fetus.

• Chels

With my first, 20 weeks was the only ultrasound I had and the Dr. only did it because of slight bleeding.

With my second, NO ultrasounds. My Dr. did not believe in doing them *at all* unless they were medically needed, simply because they aren't sure of all of the effects.

My doc. gave me three more after 20 weeks. The only reason they do not like giving them is because the ultrasound is done by sound waves. It has been thought to damage hearing. But you are correct, they are supposed to give at least one more after the 20 week mark. If they hadn't, request one. Or get a different doctor since you never know what else they are neglecting.

i had my last ultrasound at about 19 weeks... everything was going good with my pregnancy so i guess the my doctor didnt see the need for another one.