Foggy Idea asked in SportsFootball (American) · 1 decade ago

Has anyone read this article, about the "mercy rule" ?

Ask Vic: What is with all the whining?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessionid=0CAA0886C...

Seems the NFL doesn't think that there is any need for a mercy rule.

Favorite Answer

To summarize comments from stars that have played the game regarding running up the score:

Gibbs was asked if the Pats should perhaps have stopped themselves.

"No, I have no problem with anything that they did," he said. "Nothing, no problems from me."

Former Washington quarterback and current radio voice Sonny Jurgensen, a Hall of Famer, said "What are they supposed to be doing, kneeling down in the third quarter?"

Former Dallas quarterback and current Fox NFL Football host Troy Aikman, a Hall of Famer said he didn't think what they were doing was wrong.

"If the Patriots want to play 60 minutes of football, good for them," Joe Theismann told The Post's Mark Maske. "What happens if you play Tom Brady three quarters every week and you have your team used to playing three quarters, and then you go to Indianapolis and you can't get by playing three quarters?"

Cooley, the only Redskins player to score against the Patriots on Sunday not only declined to criticize the Patriots, he was openly admiring. "We've had halftime leads, both times we lost, and it's a lesson that we can learn from those guys," Cooley said. "I think it's good they pile the points on. It teaches their guys to keep playing hard. . . . Right now they're killing everybody. I don't fault them."

When you've already beaten a team so badly over the previous 45 minutes, why is it respectful to suddenly go easy, so they'll falsely feel better about themselves? What the Patriots are saying when they continue to go for the end zone is, "Hey, both teams out here on the field are pros, and this is what pros do." It would be far more demeaning to say, "We could score again, but we just feel too sorry for you to do it." When the Patriots score on an opponent, in an odd way, it's a gesture of respect.

I think Bill knows he's going to retire when the Patriots are on top, so he doesn't figure anybody is ever going to get the chance to pay him back.

The NFL is never going to institute a mercy rule--that's the most absurd thing anybody has ever mentioned. They are all professional athletes and all the teams have an equal amount of money to spend on players and draft from the same pool of talent. The fact is, we have never seen a team consistently annihilate opponents like this before and likely won't again. The Patriots this year are just a freak occurrence.

And for people still saying they haven't beaten anybody good: The Cowboys are a good team, the Chargers are a good team, now that they are shaking off that early season beat-down, and really, the Redskins have seemed like a decent team prior to last weekend. Cinci is a decent, competitive team. It's just that against the Patriots, none of these teams looked very good, except for Dallas for a little bit of the game.

There doesn't need to be a written rule for a team to show some common sense. There is no rule in baseball that says you can't steal bases with an 8 run lead in the 9th, but teams know not to do it! It is an unwritten rule that shows what type of team you are. It is a rule that has basically been followed all through history until the Pats this year.

That's pretty funny. I posted a question here about should there be a mercy rule. I was being a little tongue-in-cheek. One of the articles I read on the internet indicated that Belichik has an ax to grind, and one way he grinds it is by running up the score. It indicated that the Pats may run the score up against the colts. I think they will, which is why I predict a 30 point victory for the Pats. I just hope its a good game, no one gets hurt, and everyone appreciates what they're watching, which is the greatest football team of all time.

No need for a mercy rule. These men are paid MILLIONS, they are not 5th graders. If they do not want to lose or worse get wiped out, then they need to step up and earn those millions. I am getting tired of watching sports and seeing these overpaid losers putting out 50%

For the record I do NOT like the Patriots at all but I dont believe in crying like a baby just because another team is better than mine. People really need to grow up

They have already put too many rules in the NFL that has hurt the game. I say let them play, if the coach or the owner wants to continue to play when they have a big lead that is their prerogative. There may be a time when they may have to look at "points for" and "points against" to determine first place in their division.

Great article. Yes I think the Raiders should put in Jamarcus Russel!

Oh oh...the Patriots biggest homer is trying to defend her team again.

No....their should not be a mercy rule. Most teams are classy enough to not run up the score. No need to have a new rule just because the Pats lack class.

Mercy rule?????????

Jeez, I've heard it all now.

What is this, Pee-Wee League?

But, yes. I like Carucci's answer. At least there's someone out there with a level head.

you should send it to Dan Marino....he looks really pissed off at the 1/2 time shows