What is the best breed of chicken?

I would like to have one or two chickens as pets. I am really not all that interested in the egg laying aspect, as much as pest control in the yard and as a pet. I like the look of the silkies, and the ones with the feathers on their feet (name escapes me?) I have a small yard, and they would be kept in 1/2 of a two car garage which has been converted into a coop. Which breed do you recomend? Also, I would like a breed that can be handled, as my son would be showing them at fair.

Favorite Answer

I always thought the Polish chicken was interesting, and this webpage states that "Polish are sweet, beautiful exhibition birds" so your son should be able to show them. http://www.mypetchicken.com/Polish-B91.aspx

Another very attractive chicken is the Sultan, which is one of the feather-footed breeds. " Sultans are at the very height of ornamental oddity in the chicken world. Not only do they have a froofy cascade of feathers on top of their head, a v-shaped comb, muffs, a beard, and 5 toes instead of the usual 4, they're even feather-footed! They've been chic ever since the sultans of Ottoman Empire would keep them in their gardens." http://www.mypetchicken.com/Sultan-B104.aspx

The Silkies are also very sweet pets, and would be good for showing at fair. "Of all the ornamental chicken breeds, the Silkie Bantam is the most popular and most loved. Can't you tell why? They're the lap dog of the chicken world, complete with hair-like plumage and an incredibly sweet temperament. Unlike lap dogs, though, Silkies don't freak out when guests come over. Silkies were originally bred in China, where they are still kept (and eaten) today. They have black skin and bones and 5 toes instead of the normal 4. In addition, Silkie hens make wonderful mothers and are even known to adopt baby ducks if given the chance!" http://www.mypetchicken.com/Silkie_Bantam-B100.asp...

These websites even have links to hatcheries that sell these particular breeds.

If your son is going to be showing them you'll want to make sure they are a standard breed, that is one that has a standard and is approved by the organization that sponsors shows. Sorry, the name escapes me this morning. But some fairs don't care.

I think it would be nice if you got one of the rarer breeds. The Buckeye is a pretty bird and makes a great pet. The roosters have other strange vocalizations other than crowing that have been discribed as a dinasaur like roar!

I've had some wonderful Silkeys, by Marans, not an approved breed, are very calm and tame.

Do a web-search and try to find some chicken breeders near you. They'll be able to tell you if their particular strain of a breed whould make a good pet or not.

Well actually ant breed is an ok addition to the family.

I have several different breeds I rescued from shelters

You should help out a hen or roo in need of homes

If you want a hen its best you get free eggs and there not loud like roos that crow, Its even better to raise them from hatchling because they follow you all around.

I prefer ducks over chickens because there cleaner and smaell better

but its ur choise have anymore Qs ask me about it Im a chciken and duck lady Ha

Source(s): Own 3 ducks(Waddlesworth, Kaya, Laylah) and 5 chickens(Jewel, Pumpkin, Isis, Moe, Hershey)

Silkies and cochins are lovely birds. Their temperment is perfect for young children (but like all 'breed temperments', there are acceptions). They're the lap dogs of the chicken world and don't mind being held and stroked. I've also had Rhode Island reds, New Hamshire reds and Australorps and they're wonderful as well.

Source(s): Proud owner of 3 hens and 6 ducks. Years of experience with chickens, still learning with the ducks.

i breed silkies they are great pets, and very cute!!!! the ones with feathers on their feet are called bantams, that covers a wide range of small bred chickens. silkies are very quiet, but then any breed can be, so long as you handle them alot, best to start of with young chicks so then you can handle them and they will be much more quiet when they grow up!

• nixity

Silkies are great - and Cochins are a feathered foot variety. Though silkies can have feathered feet as well.

Both have bantam varieties and are surprisingly cuddly :)

I've had both.. curly cochins (or frizzles as they're also called) are an interesting variety, too.

I had a columbian cochin and blue silky hen.. they were both sweet.

Barred Rocks are very sweet, durable chickens

(easy to tame)

I have 2 polish chickens...there such jerks (very skittish, don't want to be pet, they peck me when I go near them)