Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

how can i leave the past behind and look forward?????

i wanna concentrate on my work now any tips????????? i am sick of living in past i just can't get over it no matter what??????

Favorite Answer

whatever happened in your past is what has made you the person you are today - we all see tragedy and happiness in our lives - we all have a story to tell - but you need to acceot your past and deal with it before you move on - if you have'nt done that then do try counselling - thats a good start - i like talking about the past - i've had some extremely sad happenings in my life but it doesnt stop me enjoying talking about the good times and sometimes the sad times too - once you have reached that stage you can move on quite easily - instead of forgetting the past try thinking about how you dealt with the past and how you are now - dont know if this has helped at all - but good luck anyway

I know what you mean - I started listening to classical music while I work and that helps me not think about too much but what I'm doing. But getting over your past is all mental and the only way to let go is to say I'm letting go everytime one of those kinds of thoughts pop into your head. Make yourself feel something different - find the positives to things - its not easy but it helps. Fall in love with life and things you enjoy - no moping or dwelling on the bad it really only makes the feeling worse--I know I'm an analyzer I had to stop analysing everything bad that happened cuz I would depress myself

Anyway GOOD LUCK - hope everything works out

We all have a past, and what happens in our past wether by our own hand or at the hand of others is the make up of who we are today.

Dealing with the past, you have to look at it and say well can I change it,? in most cases no you cant, would it make any difference to the people you hurt or that hurt you if you went back to revisit it........ nope. The only thing you can do is learn from it, mistakes are natures way of us learning. You cant punish yourself or others for ever for what has happened in the past. It is past now you look to the future, put it behind you and if you need a short course of therapy to do so then so be it, no shame in that.

Its realy really hard I've had to do it too and it is thankfully possible :) you have to change the way you look at your past eg instead of being full of regret you need to think right this happened and now I know how to be a better person because of it. Whether it was something youve done or something that happened to you.

Good luck I know it's a huge struggle.

my best advice would be; Forgive yourself and then the others that in the past. some mistakes that I have done inthe past, I always think of it as a lesson or sometimes I feel like some othet creature took over my spirit and made me do it so it doesn't matter. U can not chage ur past look at yourself now where u are in life and be proud of ur self that things chaged. if u keep looking back u wont have nothing. Past is past, think what u wanna do next. good luck to you!

depends what issues you are trying to leave behind,if it involves a person then visualise a cord between you and cut it,if it is to do with other issues try not to think to far ahead and allow your self time to heal.praise and think positive for getting through the day,and when you feel negative,change it by writing down all your positive actions and when you feel you are stepping back wards look at what you have written .It is easier to look at the negative instead of praising the positive,negative breeds negative.....hope i have made sense I know what I mean lol.

• ****

You can't change what happened yesterday. It's done and dusted. Get over it. Tommorrow is a new day. Forget the past and plan the future.

Take two sheets of paper and a pen. List all your strengths on one sheet and all your weaknesses on another sheet. Write out a plan to improve on your strengths and strengthen your weaknesses. Remember, what you do today is more important than what you plan to do tomorrow. Yesterday's gone and tomorrow ain't here yet. You can do something now in preparation for the future. "If you want muscles tomorrow, you need to workout today." SPC Loaiza

Leave the past - it has gone

Think of all the things you want to do and will do.

Do those things as much as you can.

Think to yourself ' I am wasting my life thinking negative' and start thinking positive. Make yourself think positive. It will be hard.

• Morph

No easy way , wait for the light at the end of the tunnel, trust me it is there and you will come out of it stronger.

Or you can try positive mental thinking,

Whatever way you think is the best way forward for you.