Bad RAM sticks causing comp to freeze?

I've been having problems with my computer for months now, and I'm hoping to find out what's causing the problems. Since mid-July, the comp has been freezing up completely when certain programs are started. Programs that freeze it up include:

Super Nintendo ROMS, Game Boy Advance ROMS, The Sims, ALL movie files (in fact, just clicking once on a movie file freezes it up), Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (starts up okay, and I can play it, but closing it freezes the comp). Programs like System Restore also do it, and atempting to register Windows XP as well, which means I have to re-install Windows XP every 30 days just so I can keep using the computer.

An additional probem, and what leads me to think it's the RAM sticks: Not long after the freezing problem started, the comp started giving me crap about just plain starting up. Pulling out the RAM sticks and putting them back in solved the problem, but the problem persists, and is worse now.

Any idea what's going wrong?

Favorite Answer

Try this..

http://www.memtest.org/

It's an application that tests your memory to see if they are bad modules. If there are any errors...it will tell you..with 100% certainty you can find out if your memory is faulty.

Download the latest version of the pre-built iso. Burn it to a CD....Once you have the cd ready....You're going to have to set it up to read from cd when your computer starts. This program runs before the computer even gets into windows..So you need to set your computer to boot from disc. There is also a floppy version of memtset if you want to test that.

Go into your bios and change the boot order...Make sure it boots from CD first or Floppy depending on which solution you want to use...Save and exit...With the cd in the cd rom..it should boot up into memtest and immediately start checking for errors..Let it run and notice the "pass" and "error" section...let memtest run for a few full passes.....If you come by with all passes and no fails..it's not your memory..If it does fail..then you know you have bad memory. If this is the case..Test each stick one by one with the program to find out which stick is bad....If you have a warranty RMA it...if not buy replacement sticks...

hope this helps ^_^

• s j

Sometimes you can slide a ram stick in and lock the clips on end of it down by hand when the ram isn't fully seated. Best way to install ram is to push it in until you hear a click from each end of the stick as the locks on ends lock themselves.

Make sure ram is fully seated. Try doing Windows updates and get the latest drivers for your video card also. Also download and run a ram testing program such as memtest.

It might be that there are loose cards in the system. Reseat all of your cards. I would also swap the RAM simms and see if the problem persists. Try to isolate the problem to one of them. Make SURE that they aren't overheading. Make sure the system is clean and the fans are working. I have a front-panel with remote sensors that measures RAM temp independently. There are some motherboards that can do this too.

Bad Ram can give you All sorts of problems. Before you replace it make sure it is seated properly. Replacement of ram is probably the cheapest trick you could do. I have had bad Ram before and it is very difficult to diagnose. Good luck

• Erika

the fee would desire to be high quality because it extremely is going to run under 4 hundred if it desires - pop the recent reminiscence back in and boot up the workstation back - pass into the bios and alter the placed up putting to examine the reminiscence, it does sound as though it has a difficulty although , with a bit of luck this would be sure it