AlS
AlS asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

Question on Military Recruiters at Colleges?

Is it customary (even legal) for colleges to provide let's say, Army recruiters, with a list of their students so they can be contacted (as this one sgt who called me last night said) about their "wonderful" job and scholarship opportunities?

Yes, it's a city college, public.

I don't want to call the school and say not so kind words before I know for sure. I do know from my understanding that they "supposedly" don't share our info with any agencies. They don't even let the recruiters (military and police dept) set up shop on campus, they have to do so outside on the street sidewalk. So that's why i'm kind've confused here.

It's not even a matter of saying "no, i'm not interested" and know I won't hear from them again LOL. It's a matter that unfortunately, recruiters don't seem to have "no" in their vocabulary and have tendencies to harass, try to break you down or so that's how they do in my neck of the woods. I'm just trying to play nice and not go into b*tch mode, yet.

A few weeks ago it was a couple of letters from the Navy. Last night it was a call from a Army recruiter... What next, they're going to come knock on my door? Ya know.

• Bob
    Favorite Answer

If it is a private college and do not get federal funding, they can completely disallow the military from recruiting on their campus. If they do get federal funding, even if they are private, they can lose the funding if they disallow.

If receiving federal funding, all a school has to do is allow on-campus recruiting one time to meet the requirements - There is no requirement for the school to hand out a list of students.

First off - NPS (non prior service) Recruiters are the ones who recruit out of the high schools. Many (not all) High Schools are generally willing to hand out a list. If a list is not given by the school, the recruiter can/will get the list if the school has the students take the ASVAB. But the Counselors can even restrict what personal information is released on the ASVAB results.

Each graduating class has a file - these files are kept for two years after graduation - so the recruiters can attempt to contact the student up to 2 years after graduation.

If a school does not release lists - there is nothing stopping a recruiter from purchasing a Year Book or copying the names from a yearbook from one of his DEPPERs. Granted, you only have names, but its a start.

I was a Medical Recruiter and did a lot of recruiting from the University campuses. Some schools were pretty cold - allowing only one visit - and didn't do anything more than allow me space. Other schools were very receptive - allowing multiple visits and assisting me in many ways to include a listing of students.

With the colleges - Each school will have a Student-Staff Directory. Many of them will include the students address, telephone and email addresses.

It was time consuming - but each year, I would go through the directories and input the information into a database system.

bottom line.............. If a recruiter is resourceful enough, he doesn't have to wait for the school to give him a list. There are plenty of ways to find recruits.

Source(s): 10 years as AF Recruiter (Non Prior Service-5 yrs, Medical Officers-3.5 yrs & Unit Trainer- 1.5 years)
  • Chris

By law they have to allow recruiters access to the campus or the federal government will withhold funding for the school. Keep in mind to, your school may not have provided your number. Have you applied for anything on campus, like a credit card or chance to win something? Those people can legally sell your information as well.

If you do not want to be in the Army, just say you are not interested and hang up.

Yes its legal, used to be customary and is totally up to the college. Some colleges do and some don't. They also sell their student lists to credit card companies. I'm a lot more concerned about the huge number of kids that are in debt up to their eyeballs than I am about a military recruiter having access to them. The kids don't have to listen to either one but guess which one they usually pay the most attention to....

Sometimes, your friends recommend you, and if you join, they get rank when they go to basic training. This happened to me, it actaully was a good thing, maybe not for you, I would ask the recruiter were he got your contact info, maybe a friend recommended you, and maybe the campus gave them your info, if so, you can tell them, not to do this ever again. Maybe the campus gtes some kind of favor in return, I am sure you can sue if this continues.

It would depend on your college's specific policy, and also possibly whether or not the school is public or private.

The only question I have is if the public school could legally.

I don't believe so, but it depends on your college's specific policy. Also it's pretty easy to obtain your information if it is in a campus directory.

No but if your school wants federal grants then it has to let recruiters on campus. You can not have your cake and eat it to.