x y asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

Can anyone recommend any mainstream foreign films?

I've really started to increasingly enjoy foreign films over the past year, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend any recent flicks that are relatively mainstream or straightforward in tone, rather than something extremely avant-garde/experimental with no coherent plot.

By mainstream/straightforward, I'm talking about stuff like "Good Bye Lenin", "Amelie" "Tae Guk Gai: The Brotherhood Of War", "Crimen Ferpecto", "Children Of Heaven", "Kung Fu Hustle", etc. that have understandable storylines, interesting characters, and perhaps quirky or funny situations.

The language doesn't matter, as I watch films from any country. It can be of any genre, although I'm not a big fan of horror movies.

country.

• Max
    Favorite Answer

- Life Is Beautiful (Italy) - one of my favourite films, for what it is worth, Roberto Bernigni - about an Italian Jewish man and his family in WWII, esp. how he looks after his little son - sad and wonderful story at the same time.

- Monsoon Wedding (India) - a film about a family gathering for an arranged wedding and the different characters and what is going on. I really liked this film too.

- Volver (Spain) - a bit different, but still an interesting film I think. Good cast too, including Penelope Cruz

Good question. Hope you find some more good films to see.

La Strada

Diva

Small Change

The 400 Blows

Day for Night

Forbidden Games

The Bicycle Thief

Pan's Labyrinth

The Devil's Backbone

Beauty & the Beast (Cocteau film)

House of Flying Daggers

Garden of the Finzi-Continis

Claire's Knee

Knife in the Water

Madame Rosa

Rashomon

The Bridge aka Die Brucke

The Virgin Spring

Sundays and Cybele

8 1/2

animated:

Spirited Away

Howl's Moving Castle

Steamboy

My Neighbor Totoro

Akira

In my french Class, we're watching these two french films called Jean De Florette and Manon of the Spring (Manon is the sequel to Jean.) They're a little old ('86) but they're really good and the plot is very easy to understand. It's also a little sad. But I think you might enjoy them, if you don't I'm sorry.

I think 28 Days Later is considered a foreign film. It came out in Europe before it did in America. A friend of mine saw it in Paris about 6 months before it came out here. It was pretty good. Also, Onk Bak A Thai Warrior was also pretty good.

Deepa Mehta's trilogy Fire, Earth and Water (serious)

Battle Royale directed by Kinji Fukasaku (bloody good fun)

Le Pacte Des Loups (Marc Dacascos is sooo hot)

Trainspotting (classic)

9 Dead Gay Guys (hilarious but not mainstream)

• Ben

Two of my favourites are "Zatoichi" (a Japanese martial arts film about a blind swordsman) and "The Red Violin" (a French film that follows the life of a violin through five different countries).

Most of my favorite films come from japan/china, here is a short list:

Battle royal (awarded goriest film ever)

Akira (Best anime film ever)

Snake in eagles shadow

Drunken master (Jakie Chan at his best)

Hero/fearless (gud Jet Lee films)

Azumi (great ninja flick)

Zatoichi (a truly awesome film with great humor)

I'm Not Afraid

Volver

Curse of the Golden Flower

Pan's Labyrinth

• Athena

Run Lola Run is an interesting German film. It was mainstream a few years back.