x y asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

Can anyone recommend any mainstream foreign films?

I've really started to increasingly enjoy foreign films over the past year, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend any recent flicks that are relatively mainstream or straightforward in tone, rather than something extremely avant-garde/experimental with no coherent plot.

By mainstream/straightforward, I'm talking about stuff like "Good Bye Lenin", "Amelie" "Tae Guk Gai: The Brotherhood Of War", "Crimen Ferpecto", "Children Of Heaven", "Kung Fu Hustle", etc. that have understandable storylines, interesting characters, and perhaps quirky or funny situations.

The language doesn't matter, as I watch films from any country. It can be of any genre, although I'm not a big fan of horror movies.

country.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Max
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

- Life Is Beautiful (Italy) - one of my favourite films, for what it is worth, Roberto Bernigni - about an Italian Jewish man and his family in WWII, esp. how he looks after his little son - sad and wonderful story at the same time.

- Monsoon Wedding (India) - a film about a family gathering for an arranged wedding and the different characters and what is going on. I really liked this film too.

- Volver (Spain) - a bit different, but still an interesting film I think. Good cast too, including Penelope Cruz

Good question. Hope you find some more good films to see.

• 1 decade ago

La Strada

Diva

Small Change

The 400 Blows

Day for Night

Forbidden Games

The Bicycle Thief

Pan's Labyrinth

The Devil's Backbone

Beauty & the Beast (Cocteau film)

House of Flying Daggers

Garden of the Finzi-Continis

Claire's Knee

Knife in the Water

Madame Rosa

Rashomon

The Bridge aka Die Brucke

The Virgin Spring

Sundays and Cybele

8 1/2

animated:

Spirited Away

Howl's Moving Castle

Steamboy

My Neighbor Totoro

Akira

• 1 decade ago

In my french Class, we're watching these two french films called Jean De Florette and Manon of the Spring (Manon is the sequel to Jean.) They're a little old ('86) but they're really good and the plot is very easy to understand. It's also a little sad. But I think you might enjoy them, if you don't I'm sorry.

• 1 decade ago

I think 28 Days Later is considered a foreign film. It came out in Europe before it did in America. A friend of mine saw it in Paris about 6 months before it came out here. It was pretty good. Also, Onk Bak A Thai Warrior was also pretty good.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Deepa Mehta's trilogy Fire, Earth and Water (serious)

Battle Royale directed by Kinji Fukasaku (bloody good fun)

Le Pacte Des Loups (Marc Dacascos is sooo hot)

Trainspotting (classic)

9 Dead Gay Guys (hilarious but not mainstream)

• Ben
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Two of my favourites are "Zatoichi" (a Japanese martial arts film about a blind swordsman) and "The Red Violin" (a French film that follows the life of a violin through five different countries).

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Most of my favorite films come from japan/china, here is a short list:

Battle royal (awarded goriest film ever)

Akira (Best anime film ever)

Snake in eagles shadow

Drunken master (Jakie Chan at his best)

Hero/fearless (gud Jet Lee films)

Azumi (great ninja flick)

Zatoichi (a truly awesome film with great humor)

• 1 decade ago

I'm Not Afraid

Volver

Curse of the Golden Flower

Pan's Labyrinth

• Athena
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Run Lola Run is an interesting German film. It was mainstream a few years back.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.