speed of a ceiling fan ?

It is said that speed of a induction motor is

N = 120* f / P

then how do you vary speed of a ceiling fan using a regulator

• Sparks
    Best Answer

f - frequency.

P - no. or pairs of poles.

If the number of pairs of poles (magnets) increases then the speed will go down, and vice a versa. This is likely an undesired option.

If the frequency goes up, then the speed will go up and vice a versa.

Regulator is actually a choke or inductor with 4 or 5 tappings depending on how many step on the selector switch. Speed regulator will reduce the motor's current by taking up certain voltage from the main supply.

I know that most types of ceiling fans are speed controlled by potentiometers, or variable resistance switches. Usually three set resistances and an off position. So everything is controlled by how much electricity gets through. But I was never any good at determining what types of motors are what. So i dont know if it is an induction motor or not. Hope I helped any.

Source(s): I rewired my box fan with a switch from my old ceiling fan. Plus I had four years of automation and electrical classes in HS.