what does the 'k' and 'm' mean when they are talking about numbers? Ex: 100k died.?

• Marko
    Favorite Answer

Using Greek prefixes:

K is short for kilo-, meaning 1,000

M is short for mega-, meaning 1,000,000

But in Roman numerals, M means 1,000. I often work with large sums (I'm a banker), so I usually use M after a number to mean "thousand" and MM to mean "million (a thousand thousand").

So if someone uses an isolated "M", you'd better check to make sure what they mean.

Been active in the US distribution business for over 30 years. I see both M and K being used for 1,000. It's very common in the US businesses I'm familiar with.

I know M is used for Mega or 1 million in the SI system (international system of units) but it's not used that way very often in the USA.

I've only seen MM for million or Mil for million.

I suppose that might change if we ever decide to switch to the metric system but I'm not holding my breath.

An SI prefix (also known as a metric prefix) is a name or associated symbol that precedes a unit of measure (or its symbol) to form a decimal multiple or submultiple. The abbreviation SI is from the French language name Système International d’Unités (also known as International System of Units). SI prefixes are used to reduce the quantity of zeroes in numerical equivalencies. For example, one-billionth of an ampere (a small electrical current) can be written as 0.000 000 001 ampere. In symbol form, this is written as 0.000 000 001 A. Using an SI prefix, these are equivalent to 1 nanoampere or 1 nA. The SI prefixes are governed by the Bureau International des Poids et Mesures (BIPM, also known as the International Bureau of Weights and Measures) and are the product of four resolutions dating from 1960 to 1992.

1000n 10n Prefix Short scale Long scale

10002 106 mega- M Million 1 000 000

10001 103 kilo- k Thousand 1 000

Why do people who don't know nevertheless answer? E.G., If Forbes says a business is valued at $1,850 M, what does that mean in numbers--not guesses all over the lot.

1

Source(s): Discover Numerology http://renditl.info/NumerologySecrets/?sT6q

Get Your Video Numerology Report!

The use of k to represent financial implications or dollar amount is completely invalid. If k in Roman means 1000 kilograms then it gas no bearing in reference to money. It is improperly associated.

k = thousand

m = million

100,000