Italian-Americans: Do You Speak Italian?

Hello.

I have a few questions for Italian-Americans (preferablly third/fourth/etc generation, not immigrants):

Do you speak Italian?

If so, did you learn it from your family, or at school?

If you don't speak it, do you wish you could?

Thanks to all those who reply.

riku:

Yes, if they are 3rd generation or further removed they *can* still be considered Italian-American, as long as they have Italian heritage. You don't have to be an immigrant to have a hyphenated identity.

Best Answer

Yea. I speak Italian fluently. I learned it from my father, grandfather and uncles.

• Miguel

My GF is Italian at least a decedent and does not speak any of her mother lands language...funny I'm an Italian Minor in my college, I'm very fluent and can talk with her parents which are Italian immigrants.

And as for learning the language I live in Little Italy NY, the local high school and Junior High has Italian as a substitute for Spanish if you like to take it so the fluency you don't get in growing up with your parents you can get it in school.

Source(s): Brazilian native (Portuguese speaker) and fluent in Italian and Spanish

3rd generation

I dont speak Italian neither do my parents but my grandparents do. I wish I could. I wish my mom coudl and that she had taught me. I took spanish in highschool and i am almost fluent now and italian is similar so i can understand some ....

3rd generation

i knew the language i didn't learn it from school.i talk to most my friends is the spanish immersion class in italian bc the 2 lingua's are almos thte same.

Do you speak Italian? a real little

If so, did you learn it from your family, or at school? my grandpa

If you don't speak it, do you wish you could? i wish i could speek alot more, im working on it.

• Riku.

if they are second, third, or fourth generation

they are americans....

not italian-americans they just have orgin from italy