Are you aware that 7 U.S. States specifically prohibit atheists from working for the government?

I'll have to get you the list of States and the exact phrasing, but it'll take a while...

The states are Arkansas, Maryland,

Massachusettes, North Carolina,

Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas... is that 7?

Here are the States' exact wording...

http://www.godlessgeeks.com/LINKS/StateConstitutio...

The laws (in 9 states) prohibit atheists from working in the government.

Favorite Answer

States can't do that with their constitution. The national constitution forbids it.

The "no religious test" clause of the United States Constitution is found in Article VI, section 3, and states that:

“ ...no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States. ”

• S K

Name the states.

Not true. I live in Tennessee and I know an atheist who is a firefighter. That is a government job and they don't ask you what your religious beliefs are. Those who do face a lawsuit. This isn't true, tho there may be people who get a harder time for their beliefs. Those people should sue.

Source(s): Jen

Wow, what a bunch of primitives. Well I know where I will NOT be taking vacations any times soon.

I must say the States that have these laws don't surprise me very much, lets face it they are almost all like third world countries anyway, and Mass has a bloody Mormon running it, or at least it did.

I will never criticize Florida again. Well OK not today at least.

Most Europeans would be stunned to know this.

It is against basic human rights and in Europe would be a criminal offence.

It is as bad as anything done in the name of communism or fascism - if not worse.

My respect for the so called 'Land of the Free' (America) has just taken a dive.

I am absolutely STUNNED that the Communistwealth of Virginia isn't listed. Hmmm...perhaps I *could* run for office or work for the government...*rubs hands together maniacally*

North Carolina

*looks around, realizes he works for the government*

Whoops.

• Alan

Can you tell us the names of the states and cite a reference?

You're freakin kidding me right? So much for separation of "church" and state......I thought this country was founded on the tenet that all could believe or not believe whatever they wish.

No wonder this country is such a damn mess. Archaic laws....archaic beliefs.....just archaic period.

I agree. Name the states and provide the links. Also show the last time this rule was enforced.