JJ and QQ pre flop (no limit hold em)?

I've been having some trouble with these two starting hands. AA is no problem for obvious reasons and KK is pretty straightforward. If there is more than one caller and A shows up on the flop, chances are someone has it; scrap the hand. Even AK is pretty simple; you either hit top pair or you don't.

I've been having trouble with JJ and QQ. More so with JJ because there are, potentially, 9 cards out there that can make an overpair to it. However, if T or lower shows up, it's a strong hand, and it can generate a lot of chips from opponents calling with nothing but overcards (or smaller pairs). So my question is, how do you feel about QQ and JJ pre-flop? Are you looking to thin the field, possibly even take the pot without seeing a flop by making a big pre flop bet? Would you rather extract value out of it or be cautious by making a small bet? What kind of bets/raises will you call with these hands?

How many bets/raises would it take for you to fold these hands? How do you play these hands according to position and number of callers? Would you call a re-raise with these hands?

All above questions in relation to pre-flop play.

Also, what do you like to do with these hands in limit games (also take position into consideration please).

Favorite Answer

Wow, you're really getting a bang for your buck. Theres like 999999 million questions in this "question".

"how do you feel about QQ and JJ pre-flop?"

I feel that is a quality starting hand and i am willing to get QQ in against most oppenents preflop. JJ is very player dependent imo, and i will try to give some examples. Against some bully who raises utg im 3betting 90% of the time. Against a tightish player who raises utg i usually call 60% of the time. The other 40% i 3bet (However, against most decent players they will put you on the type of hand you have right away). Against a LAG player who raises on the CO and im on the button, im raising/calling 70/30. Against a player who raises on the button and im on the blinds im 3 betting 100% of the time. You should be doing this alot already with okay hands like suited connectors and Ax hands because you want him to know that you arent going to be bullied easily. If some tight player utg raises im 3-betting 75% of the time and calling 25% of the time. BTW u you should be 3 betting with trash once in a while, suited connectors once in awhile, okay face cards 50% of the time (KJ), and really good hands 80% of the time. That way, when you 3-bet they cant just say "He must have TT-AA, AK". Instead they should say,"WTF does he have this time."? A good 3-bet is usually 10bb-14bb or 3-4x the preflop raise. Lets say CO raises to 7. A good rerraise/3-bet you should be to 21-28.

Are you looking to thin the field?

Duh! With almost every single playable hand you should try to eliminate the field to 3 players max! and preferably 2 players. Im not sure what you mean by "big preflop bet", but you should be betting 3-4x bb with any hand you are raising preflop. The perfect bet imo is 3/1/2x bb and you will see most people doing this. Make this bet with trash-AA if you are thinking of raising preflop. If you are playing at decent stakes you will usually get HU when you make this bet unless you are acting like a complete donk or fish in which case everyone wants to play a pot with you. If someone in front raises you should usually 3 bet. As i said before once in a while you should 3 bet with trash. This is because you want to get paid off more when you actually have a premium hand. When you just 3 -bet really good hands people will know what you have and call with only QQ-AA, AK so basically you will get only better hands to call against observant oppenents.

You also want to 3-bet because you are building the pot with a hand that is very good and you also want to get max value off of it. Think of it as a value bet. You also take control of the pot and can keep the pot small/big depending on the community cards. You also want to price out hands like 56dd, AK etc.

"Would you rather extract value out of it or be cautious by making a small bet?"

Ummmmmmmmm....... you should almost never make small bets. Against almost all decent players you will get raised just because if you really had a good hand you would bet more because they would call a big bet almost as much as they would call a small bet. So basically, you are saying i have a okay hand-not good not bad and if you raise me im bailing out. DONT MAKE SMALL BETS UNLESS YOU HAVE A HAND WHERE YOU WANT TO GET R/R WITH!! Also, you want to stick with big bets (1/2-pot) because you are getting more value off a hand where you want more value and your bluffs are more likely to work when people dont know what kind of hand you have (a bluff, weak hand, or nuts). A lot of times though, a really bad flop will come like QxKc7c (you have jj) and you should check/call or check/fold the flop. So basically either bet 1/2-big or just check (when you flop a worthless hand, are either way behind or way ahead, the pot is getting to big with such a mediocre hand, or you want to induce bluffs from a agressive player.) Rarely will i bet all three streets after i have raised preflop3-bet because usually when people call all 3 streets you are beat. The one time i bet all 3 streets is when flop comes out 2h4hTc. Many times people will call with AT all the way, and even JT if they think you are bluffing busted draws on the river. Youn can get ALOT of value from top pair hands in these situations and you shouldnt pass it up.

"What kind of bets/raises will you call with these hands?"

Usually out of position i will fold to a turn r/r against most players if i raised preflop, and bet flop. Its really hard to give a detailed explanation to this because there are just so many situations. Maybe you could post a hand in the add. details and i will give a more detialed answer.

"How many bets/raises would it take for you to fold these hands? How do you play these hands according to position and number of callers? Would you call a re-raise with these hands?"

This is also soooo very player dependent. Im not sure if you know this, but a 3-bet is a reraise, just letiin you know. JJ against a tight player i will fold to a 4 bet, but willl always call a reraise (3-bet). Against a loose player i push. If i am in positon against a preflop raiser i am more inclined to call a 3-bet and i will do this 30% of the time. OOP (out of positon) i like to call maybe 10% of the time. This is because it is really hard to play out of positon against a preflop raiser who has control of the pot. Once again, you need to move up if you get more than 2 callers 25% of the time when you raise to 3/1/2x bb. Generally, i am more inclined to muck against action in a mutliway pot and I put less value on my overpair. I am calling a reraise (3 bet) every time UNLESS i know 100% sure that he has AA, KK. Against a loose player i am 4 betting OOP and calling a in positon.

Wow that was a long answer. Plz plz plz post additional details if you dont understand what i just typed.

I find that position and the number of players you are up against is more significant than the two cards you have pre-flop. For example in Texas hold em if up against just 1 or 2 players and you are 1st to act I often raise with complete rubbish (like 6 2) because there is a high chance that both the other players don`t have much too, and the amount you win from the stolen antis can often come to more than the ocasional loss when you are called, and of course even when you are called when you got rubbish you still have a chance to win.

So if raising with rubbish is often right, then of course raising with JJ or QQ would be right, making a small bet I would hardley never do with these hands, you either check to give the illusion of rubbish or make a huge bet not really caring if you are called or not, if not you win money for certain, and if you are called there is a big chance you are a good favorite. Now and again you will come up against KK or AA but then thats poker and you just have to accept that. If you don't consider QQ and JJ as very strong hands then you are playing to tight and other players will constantly be bluffing you out of many pots.

If playing in a big field I may be tempted to bet less and see how many players stop in first, and from that you can estimate the chance of your hand being the best. A big raise here is more likley to get a caller in a big field.

In a small field getting the money in pre flop can help you avoid a tricky situation after the flop. For example if you bet low with QQ and got 2 callers if the flop came A 10 2 any big bet then and you would have a tough choice, the others dont even need an Ace they just need the guts to represent the ace. But if you bet high pre-flop you could scare them out or even convince them that you got the ace so they would be much less likley to represent the ace after the flop.

I've always thought that a small gain is better than a big loss. When you're playing with six or more people, JJ or QQ is a strong beginning hand, but if an overcard comes out on the flop, chances are that somebody has it. I always bet really big pre-flop to see if I can buy it. If people call me, and there are no overcards on the flop, I'll check raise (if I'm first to act), or I'll raise when it's my bet. However, if there's an Ace or a King, I don't get too attached to the Pocket Pair and throw them away, or at least check it if I'm first to act. When presented with any pocket pair, I play tight-aggressive, and it usually works out for me. Just beware of a higher pocket pair because those are hard to read. As far as a re-raise pre-flop, I would be very hesitant. It depends on the amount of the raise. If someone bets a high raise pre-flop after I've raised, I'll take the safe route, even though the re-raiser is probably just baiting a bluff.

until your skills increase you should raise 7 times the big blind with either hand ( on a limped pot ), this does not encourage action. dump the hand if the flop is not favorable and you have other players trying to take it down. when your skills improve you will want to raise 3 times the big blind, this encourages action. with any hand the most important thing to remember is to read your opponent, this more than any other facet of the game will line your pockets. be sure extract as much money as possible when you hit a set, it will be good 90% of the time

Always good to see Flops with either of those hands and Hitting a set has the potential of Doubling up if someone else hits ............FOR EXAMPLE ...........in my Sunday night game this week I had Pocket Jacks and raised about 10 times the Big blind ....and of course got a few callers ,,,One of them being Someone who plays KRAP hands ......anyway the Flop came J-3-3 ........I bet again and he called the turn was a 10 and I quickly checked to him (knowing he could easily do something stupid ) and the first thing out of his mouth was of course ""I'm ALL IN"............I of course call and He had called my raise before the Blind with 2-3 Offsuite.........SO on hands like that its important to have a feel for your opponents and realize what there capapble of calling you with ............((Oh yea I won that night of course ))....................Good luck to ya ~!

For me, it depends on what position I am in. If I am one of the first to bet, I usually limp in, and I wait to see if someone raises me. If they do, depending on what type of raise it is and what type of player they are (aggressive or passive), I can make a determination of whether I want to call him drop my cards, or go all in.

If you get to the flop with no one reraising you, be careful for overcards in the flop. If an ace comes up, obviously you're screwed, but at least you didn't lose all of your chips by going all in before the flop. It gives you options.

If I am close to the blinds, I most likely will go all in to steal the blinds with this hand and take my chances if one of them calls me. If the chip leader is in one of the blinds and he/she has me covered by a lot of chips, I may be more careful.