Devon P asked in SportsBoxing · 1 decade ago

Top 10 Heavyweights?

Boxing Historian Bert Sugar along with ESPN released a DVD with Sugar's top 10 heavyweights. He listed his top 10 as such:

1. Joe Louis

2. Muhammad Ali

3. Jack Dempsey

4. Jack Johnson

5. Gene Tunney

6. Rocky Marciano

7. Ezzard Charles

8. George Foreman

9. Joe Frazier

10. Larry Holmes

Now Bert Sugar judged his top 10 based on what they did in their own eras and what accomplishments they did overall to make his list. What are your thoughts on this list?

Sugar was also asked where would he place todays heavyweights like Tyson, Holyfield, and Lewis. He placed them in this order:

11. Holyfield

14. Tyson

19. Lewis

Any other thoughts?

Favorite Answer

Well he is definitely better qualified than me to judge but I would be tempted to put Archie Moore, Floyd Patterson, Jersey Joe Wolcott and John L. Sullivan in the list but I'm not sure where. Perhaps I'd feel better if it were a top 15 heavyweight list. I wonder where Holyfield would be as well. I always thought Joe Louis should have been at the top so I guess I agree with the order of the top 6 and then I could flip a coin for the order of the next 4-6 between Sugar's names and the names I mentioned. Many would argue Liston should be up there too.

Holyfield 11? Thanks. I might have had him around 15 and Lewis not far behind. Tyson has to be in the top 20 love or hate him. I guess Sugar's list is pretty solid though Foreman himself rated himself at about 25 and Ali around 5.

• gman

1. Joe Louis

2. Ali

3. Marciano

4. Holmes

5. Jack Johnson

6. Foreman

7. Frazier

8. Tunney

9. Dempsey

10. Holyfield

11. Ezzard Charles

• Big E

1. Muhammad Ali

2. Joe Louis

3. Jack Johnson

4. George Foreman

5. Jack Dempsey

6. Joe Frazier

7. Larry Holmes

8. Mike Tyson

9. Archie Moore

10. Sonny Liston

The only slight change I would make in the list would be replacing Ezzard Charles with Floyd Patterson. Patterson was the first heavyweight to win the world title twice. That is enough for me. Otherwise, I have no real problem with that list. Especially, given the source of the list.

As far as the best heavyweights of today beating the heavyweights of the past. That could ONLY be based on the fact that the majority of the top heavies of the past would be considered cruisers today. Otherwise, the majority of the heavyweights of the 70's who WEREN'T champs then (Jerry Quarry, Ernie Shavers, George Chuvalo, Oscar Bonavena, et al) would destroy today's heavyweights.

I personally like Bert Sugar's list. I like Louis over Ali. Dempsey did have a huge impact on the sport being the most popular athlete of his time, even more popular than the Babe! Boxers of today owe there big purses big time to Dempsey.

I am one of the few people who liked Lennox Lewis. Although Tyson was awesome in his prime, and Holyfield was so damn entertaining I would still put Lewis ahead of them both... Maybe even ahead of Holmes, and Frasier

i dont understand how people like bert sugar and other boxing fans and analysts rank jack dempsey and rocky so high!! first of all, dempsey didnt fight ANY black fighters because they were too afraid of having another black champion. now, ive heard of guys ducking other guys, but a whole race?

and as far as rocky goes, he did fight black fighters and he was undefeated. but look at his resume. every great champ he beat was one of two things. they were either blownup light heavys or over 38yrs old.

so with that being said, heres my list....

the top 3 goes ALI, JOHNSON, LOUIS. because of dominance, star power, and social impact.

#4 is larry holmes. DOMINACE! 48 straight wins. maybe the best jab in history. was robbed by spinks to stop him from breaking rockys record. will never get the credit deserved cause the media didnt like him. hey, ali is a tough act to follow.

#5 is holyfield. think about this when you rate evander. HE WAS A CRUISER!!! he was constantly out weighed by 20-30 lbs! and we're talking big guys that can fight, not tomato cans like rocky fought. and he exchanged with these guys, and they couldnt Ko him. won the title 3 times in (in my opinion) the second toughest era of all time. case closed.

#6 is lewis. #7 tyson, #8 foreman #9 dempsey #10 ezzard charles

• KatVic

this is mine: Dempsey, Jack Johnson, Marciano, Frazier, Foreman, Holmes, Wallcot, Ezzard Charles, Joe Louis, Ali. But not in that order. 1st Sgt., 7th Special Forces, (Ret.) Vietnam 67-70

I'm curious as to who annoited Sugar as the pre-eminent boxing analyst? Ok he wears a hat and chomps on a cigar, so what?

When analysts like this come up with their lists, they make a calculation as to what will bring more noteriety to the analyst rather than any kind of thoughtful true rankings. It should be obvious to anyone with a pulse and half a brain that Ali proved himself the all-time greatest with KO victories over 3 all-time greats. Louis is at the top of his list because Sugar simply wants to stir the pot and get folks talking about him. In all reality, guys like Sugar and Kellerman are no more qualified that you and I to make these lists.

#1 Ali

#2 Foreman

#3 through #10, any 8 remaining guys.

Mike tyson should Never be put on a list of the greatest boxers of all time.

Sugars list isnt bad.

I repeat Mike Tyson should not even be mentioned on the list of greatest Heavy weights of all time.

Not a bad list at all.

As to modern heavyweights beating the old guys the modern guys would get killed.

The guys we have are flat out beating old men from the 1990's who in turn were conquered by a fat old man from the 1970's.

The worst boxing slump in history is not a good position to argue quality...

Source(s): former heavyweight