Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthHealth & Well-BeingInjuries · 1 decade ago

I have just had a opertation and signed off work for 4 weeks, can my employer ask me to ring in every week?

I thought if you had a sick note fromyour GP and your employer was aware of how long you are off for, then they wouldnt expect you to ring in every week for updates.

can anyone help on this matter, as its really worrying me.

Favorite Answer

if you have a sick note send it into them-your employer shouldnt expect you back till whatever date the sick note says, you're covered till then. ive never had to ring in every week. did they ask you to do this?

I have seen this before. The employer probably has a separate policy for when an employee is going to be off for an extended amount of time.

You should comply with it, maybe ask them why they want you to do it, but it doesn't hurt, you don't want to get in trouble for not following policy. At the very least you will be able to keep up on current events at the office. You don't have to give details about your condition, just an update on your prognosis.

As long as you send in your sick notes from your GP then you don't need to ring them weekly, as you said, the GP puts on the sick note how long you'll be off for. Don't worry, they can't sack you for having an operation and having to have time off work, just remember to send in the sick note/s and get better soon.

No you don't have to call your employer every week. Cos you on Medical Leave. Unless your job required you to follow up

on some project you've been doing and you don't trust your

co-worker. lt's all depend on what position you holding at work.

After all it's your health that's matter the most. So lf you're worried, you can always call back to find out what's happening at work or by email with your client. Take care.

I think the sick note from your GP means that you can't work for the four weeks (unless you went back to see him/her in this period and he decided you're fit for work. Then he would have to do you another cert specifying when you're fit for work).

If you have a Personnel Dept, 'ring them (or your boss if not) and explain this. I would also say that you are recuperating from an op and you need the time to recover. They can't say that you have to go back to work during one of the weekly 'phone calls, so I would ask why. If it is their policy, they need to review it as employees do not have to 'ring in once they are certificated.

I would write a letter to accompany your sick note when you send it in alone the lines off....

Please note I am signed off from working for 4 weeks and I do not expect to have any update on my condition till I have seen my GP at the expiry of this 4 weeks.

I shall not be in contact with work until such time as I have any updates. Should I be fit for work I shall of course call to advise you on my date of return. Please feel free to send me any important work updates via post should you feel this nessassary.... blahhhhh blahhh

u get the idea

Don,t worry about it. Most employers ask you to do this. Many of them do it because they are interested in your well-being. A few do it because they don't believe you are ill.

It's easy to comply. Just ring them and say "hi..yeah it,s me..yeah i'm still poorly.. see you in four weeks(three weeks, two weeks etc)...bye".

• Haggi

I wouldn't have thought so, if you recover early and want to go back to work you would have to ask your Dr to certify you fit to work. Is your boss just concerned about your welfare or maybe a bit of a bully?

Only if they don`t believe you are sick and suspect that you are going abroad for a few weeks holiday instead !

How OLD ARE YOU?... is this your first job? Of COURSE your employer can request you call in every week... for one thing... they are interested in your progress and for another, they have a RIGHT to know if your are coming back soon... YOU work for THEM... and they have a RIGHT to know about you.

SO... back to my first questions... HOW OLD ARE YOU? and IS THIS YOUR FIRST JOB... because I would guess you are young and this is your first real job.