Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Is "smarter than thou" for atheists like "holier than thou" for Christians?

And what makes one any better than the other?

One respects brains and puts himself above in that category.

Other respects holiness and puts himself above in that category.

Crazy MO: how is stating your opinion as fact different than a Christian doing the same?

Best Answer

I wish I could give more than one star for this question. I have noticed that while there are many "holier than thou" Christians on here, there are just as many if not more "smarter than thou" atheist's. The funny part is, the most intelligent thing that most of them can come up with for a question is along the lines of "If God is all powerful can He make a pizza so hot that He Himself cannot eat it?".

I'm still wondering, if they are as smart as they claim to be, and if they have no belief in religion (as they claim) then why do they obsess so much over it?

Well placed question! As a Christian, I am no better or worse than anyone else. I'm just a begger explaining where I got the bread to keep me goin for another day. As the phrase "Holier than thou...", I take that to mean "Judgmental". I honestly don't see anything wrong with being judgmental, as long as it doesn't come out of your / my mouth. We all make judgments about others in relation to standards that we believe to be true.... Christians and Athiests alike. Example - I tell an athiest that I just got back from church, and went to the store, then home to play with the kids. He / she inwardly rolls their eyes... they've made a judgment about who I am, what I believe, and their preconcieved notions about "Christians" come into play. Can't be avoided, that's how we're wired. The Holier than thou types forget the parable about pointing out the speck in someone elses eye when they have a log in their own. i.e. Christians should look at their own flaws before pointing them out in another. "Whosoever is without sin, let them cast the first stone".

Athiests - and I know a few as aquaintences, and as good friends, tend to cling to "science" or "logic" as the bastion of TRUE knowledge, even though there are flaws in the past experience of it's conclusions. Science is there to explain observable phenomenon, nothing more. Somehow over the past 50 years, "hypothesis" has become accepted fact, and is clung to and quoted as such in the genre of "proof" that something happened, or to explain something.

It comes down to individual choice. Christians can be so heavenly minded that they are no earthly good... and on the other hand, athiests can be so factually minded that they miss the forest for the trees. JMHO.

Source(s): zipper

I assume by 'brains" you mean intelligence / logic .

By "holiness" I assume you mean having faith in the Bible .

These two things are in direct contradiction to each other .

Neither one means that one person is a "better" person than the other .

The problem is when SOME Christians say that they are better people than Atheists ( because they are "intelligent" enough to have faith in god/christ , even though they have *no intelligent proof* that either one exists .)

I would frame it as: "Is intellectual pride any different than moral pride?" I would say that intellectual pride is "less" evil, only because moral pride always contains elements of intellectual pride. Intellectual pride mistakes its own perspective for absolute truth; moral pride mistakes its own judgments for righteousness:

"Moral pride is revealed in all 'self-righteous' judgments in which the other is condemned because he fails to conform to the highly arbitrary standards of the self. Since the self judges itself by its own standards it finds itself good. It judges others by its own standards and finds them evil... This is the secret of the relationship between cruelty and self-righteousness. When the self mistakes its standards for God's standards it is naturally inclined to attribute the very essence of evil to non-conformists...The whole history of racial, national, religious and other social struggles is a commentary on the objective wickedness and social miseries which result from self-righteousness." - Reinhold Niebuhr, The Nature of Man

Peace to you.

It means the same thing; only from opposite sides of the line..

Q1 LOLOLOLOL

Q2 Some do both.

I find most people could not defend what they "believe in".

Most people do not even know what it is that they believe in.

I hope this helps!

Source(s): Educated Christian

I guess so. That does make sense.

funny I like that

No one is "better" than anybody else. We are all equal.

"smarter than thou" is practically possible, whereas "holier than thou" is just a delusional frame-mind.