rufio asked in SportsCycling · 1 decade ago

is a mountain bike or road bike better for a city winter?

for a city like boston where the streets are ussually clear but there is the occasional ice, would a road bike or mountain bike be better for the winter?

ive heard road bikes are better because they cut through snow, but mountain bikes have better traction.

imput? suggestions?

• Tony F
    Best Answer

Why not a road bike? Sorry but most of you are talking rubbish. Firstly if it is city streets with snow A road bike will easily do this job & be a hell of a lot quicker. I know because I do it every year even through 6inches of snow.

All you have to do is change your tyres to ones that are wider and have tread, these are easily available on the net or from a local bike shop. Riding through snow is not that different to riding on compacted mud it becomes solid under the tyre yet still gives a little under the pressure. Something like the MICHELIN CYCLOCROSS JET TYRE

If there is ice on the road & it's bad no mountain bike or tyre will help that much as it will just not cut through the layer.

Someone explain to me how you think a MB has better traction it is the tyre alone not the bike and a MB has no more stability than a road bike in any given situation that depends on the riders ability more than anything else!

A mountain bike, a road bike with tires that have some tread, or a hybrid are all reasonable suggestions for winter riding in Boston, but they all left something out:

Get a set of fenders to keep icy road slop kicked up by the tires from soaking you to the skin! Put them on whatever kind of bike you buy.

Mountain bike. I hang my road bike up until spring. The MTB has much better traction and is far more stable as well as easier to ride with heavy clothing on. You will end up on your butt if there is any snow or ice with a road bike.

Yes the road bike may cut through snow. I guess it depends what road tires you use. I wouldn't want to use a road bike in the snow, if it were to be new. I would use a mountain bike for durability.

• b4_999

I bought this bike for my girlfriend Trek SU200.

A Mtn bike style is better than a road bike (I own both) for City riding for a number of reasons.

1. The upright position lends itself to better visability. Both seeing and being seen.

2. It's a slower bike and that lack of speed will add safety.

3. Sturdier tires and rims for pothole jumping.

4. More tire on the road for better braking.

I ride in Manhattan all the time and ride my hardtail. I could use my trek 2300 but it's not as safe.

Period.

I advice not to go cycling during winter. If there is ice on the road, no mtb nor roadbike can avoid a slip.

Health and well-being is more important.

Reserve your bike till spring.

If you still want, then the best option is a foldable bike. Low rider height, low speed, small wheels and frame makes it easier to handle and maneuver incase of emergency.

• Laura

Seattle sucks for road bikes. It rains all through the year, and is COLD. I lived their and had a bike. Even on a what is considered a warm summer day, in a tee shirt it gets damn cold going over 40mph in a shaded area. And there are LOTS of huge pine trees, so LOTS of shaded areas on the roads.

a road bike is built for speed and not for the ruff city streets. I would get a mountain bike or even a hybrid if you gotta ( generally dont like hybrids personally ) . if you want a smoother ride you can change your tires to something smoother and more road worthy. if your worried about traction, keep the nobby mountain bike tires !!!

Mountain bikes 4-sure. Keep your head up! Especially when riding in Boston, what with all the crack-heads & drunkin` college "students". Not to mention the just plain ol` hate-filled, ugly resident drivers.

I've never seen or heard of anyone riding anything but a mountain bike in winter