Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicJokes & Riddles · 1 decade ago

See what 50 years will do: part 1?

See what 50 years will do:

Scenario: Jack pulls into school parking lot with rifle in gun rack.

1956 - Vice Principal comes over, takes a look at Jack's rifle, goes to his car and gets his to show Jack.

2006 - School goes into lockdown, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.

1956 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up best friends. Nobody goes to jail, nobody arrested, nobody expelled.

2006 - Police called, SWAT team arrives, arrests Johnny and Mark. Charge them with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Jason won't be still in class, disrupts other students.

1956 - Jason sent to office and given a good paddling by Principal. Sits still in class.

2006 - Jason given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. School gets extra money from state because Jason has a disability.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his father's car and his Dad gives him a whipping.

1956 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

2006 - Billy's Dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care and joins a gang. Billy's sister is told by state psychologist that she remembers being abused herself and their Dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has affair with psychologist.

Best Answer

Interesting. I used to walk to kindergarten through half a mile of rough neighborhood. It would be unthinkable for a 6-year old to do the same today (I have a 6-year old, and there's NO WAY she'd make that walk alone).

What do you suppose caused this difference? I know a simple answer is the increase in litigation. But I think that's yet another symptom, rather than a cause.

Obviously you feel the lack of corporal punishment is a culprit. I agree, but I think it's a minor one. Corporal punishment is useful in a narrow context -- it gets the message across quickly and clearly. But it also creates unwanted fallout: children learn that violence is an acceptable form of imposing their will, and kids may fear their parents rather than respect them (true in my case). As a result, a child will try to avoid getting caught, rather than actually shaping up.

My own pet theory is the breakdown of community. Today's families live in their castles filled with toys, and have less interaction with the rest of the community. So when another adult disciplines your child (corporal or otherwise), it's considered an assault, rather than a community service.

I also think there's a huge society-wide insecurity complex. More and more of our society has been co-opted by the competition mentality set up by our consumer culture. Competition is very useful at spurring production. But the downside of competition is, people feel like losers when comparing themselves to someone more successful. So we have a whole society made up of insecure people who are on a hair trigger at the first sign of perceived criticism.

• Kristi

I am part of the 99% Yet I pay taxes because your definition maybe right for what you said but it is not about taxes. It is about the 1% using their wealth to buy our government. So I don't care if you paid 20,000 dollars in taxes last year you are still part of the 99% whether you want to be or not. Unless you own your own politician you belong in the 99%.

LMAO!! sooo true! lol but the first one, the 2006 part would have worked even if jack had brought a water gun. lol i love it!

• So true

star 4 u

this is very true they should bring back the old ways...then kids might actually behave and we wouldn't as many problems

• cats

Good ones!

• Paul S

never heard a truer word.

have a star

ha ha ha funny

thanks for a laugh

10/10

totally and utterly original question,thank you for something different,class!!

AMAZING!!! soo truee

deserves a star big time!