raw turkey for turkey soup?

i am making turkey soup, is it okay that the drumstcicks i used were raw? they have been boiling now for four hours and still look pink, i am begining to think i should have cooked them first before throwing them in the pot.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

The meat should be safe if it has been cooked for over 4 hrs, if cooked over 170 degrees. Many cooks use cooked meat for soup so that the color will come out right. Boiling meat usually will have a diff. color than cooking on direct heat.

Servesafe certified rest. mngt.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

if they have been boiling for 4 hours, there is no way they could possibly still be raw unless they are either 100 pounds each or were frozen solid when you put them in. LOL Sometimes the dark meat can look pink even though it is fully cooked.

I use raw chicken or turkey to make stock all the time. If using cooked [ example- turkey carcass ] I roast the bones in the oven for awhile and then make soup out of them. good luck.

• 1 decade ago

That is the correct way to make soup. You use raw meat to make any soup or you can use smoked meat or you can add cooked meat if you want to add a little extra in some soup it's a good way to use the leftover . Cooking is been creative.

• 1 decade ago

Should be cooked done after boiling for 4 hrs. Some turkey meat naturally looks pink after it is cooked done.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If you've cooked the soup for 4 hours, believe me the turkey is cooked thoroughly. Raw poultry of any kind is fine for soups, stews, chowder, etc. providing you cook it long enough, and 4 hours is long enough.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

no pink. I don't know of any turkey meat thats pink. Turn up the heat a bit on your soup. It might need to boil longer.

• 1 decade ago

Yes, you should cook the turkey first, then add the cooked meat to the pot.

• 1 decade ago

If it's been boiling away for four hours, they're cooked. It doesn't look white because it's dark meat and that has more or a brownish-pinkish hue.

• 1 decade ago

The meat is going to look pink because it is dark meat- it should be better than fine!

• 1 decade ago

Of course it is O.K. Every food is raw before you cook it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.