Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleSkin & BodyOther - Skin & Body · 1 decade ago

What is "musk" in perfumes and colognes?

When you read the ingredients for some perfumes, colognes and body scents, sometimes it simply lists "musk" as one of the ingredients. What is "musk"? What's it made of?

Favorite Answer

Musk is the name originally given to a substance with a penetrating odor obtained from a gland of the male musk deer, which is situated between its stomach and genitals. The substance has been used as a popular perfume fixative since ancient times and is one of the most expensive animal products in the world. The name, originated from Sanskrit muṣká meaning "testicle", has come to encompass a wide variety of substances with somewhat similar odors although many of them are quite different in their chemical structures. They include glandular secretions from animals other than the musk deer, numerous plants emitting similar fragrances, and artificial substances with similar odors.

Until the late 19th century the fragrance was only obtained from natural sources. Now synthesized compounds are used almost exclusively. The organic compound primarily responsible for the characteristic odor of musk is muscone.

Musk is a substance with a strong, penetrating odor, obtained from a small sac (musk bag) under the skin of the abdomen in the male musk deer, or certain other animals (the alligator, musk ox...). It is used as the basis of numerous perfumes, and is now often created synthetically.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): quot musk quot perfumes colognes: https://shortly.im/GOGfI
  • Ista

Not sure what it is, but I think it smells like b.o. The sister of an ex of mine wore "musk" perfume, and I didn't realize, just thought she frequently forgot her deoderant, until she offered to share her perfume with me one day, and I found out THAT was the offensive odor around her. And she wore it on purpose? I guess to some people it might smell good, but for me, burns my nose and stinks to high heaven!

• ...

a stong smelling reddish-brown substance that is secreted by the male musk deer for scent-marking

i'm not sure..buy usually when i think musk i think of what old people smell like....