The characteristic of "curiosity" in the Bible?

Can you think of Biblical figures who expressed a character of curiosity? A verse that explicitly refers to growing closer to the Lord (personally or communally) through curiosity, inquiry and questioning, if you will?

Favorite Answer

The one who springs to mind is Moses when he saw the burning bush. Curiosity is what made him take the second look and draw nearer to it for closer examination.

One of my favorite verses is:

Proverbs 25:2 (NKJV) It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, but the glory of kings is to search out a matter.

Psalm 9:10 And those who know Your name will put their trust in You; For You, LORD, have not forsaken those who seek You.

Research means to search again and again. That would involve questioning and active pursuit.

Matthew 6:33 But seek [this word means to search and research with great desire] first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.

Psalm 22:26 The poor shall eat and be satisfied;Those who seek Him will praise the LORD. Let your heart live forever!

Psalm 27:8 When You said, “Seek My face,”My heart said to You, “Your face, LORD, I will seek.”

Acts 17:27 so that they should seek the Lord, in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us;

Deut 4:29 But from there you will seek the LORD your God, and you will find Him if you seek Him with all your heart and with all your soul.

Luke 11:9-13 “So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. If a son asks for bread from any father among you, will he give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent instead of a fish? Or if he asks for an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!”

For me, the best thing of all is to know that long before I ever sought after God, He sought after me. He was the first seeker. He paid the greatest price - for you and I!

Matthew 13:45-46 “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant seeking beautiful pearls, who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had and bought it.

Source(s): All Scriptures quoted from the New King James Version Bible
  • Erika

Curiosity Proverbs

The one that comes to mind is about that eunuch in Acts, Chapter 8, who needed interpretation of what he read in the Book of Isaiah. The Apostle Philip came along and helped him out and the eunuch eventually got baptized when he asserted his faith.

Hope that helps.

Peace be with you.