what would one charge for writing someone's business website?

i'm just getting into a little professional writing...what's a standard rate (if such a rate exists) for writing a website. I'm not designing the site, just supplying the written text. i know length will be a factor, but i just need a ballpark to start from.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

This depends on a few things:

1.) How soon do they need this website done? (If it's a rush job, you should charge more than if you can work at a comfortable pace.)

2.) Do you have qualifications that make you more valuable? (College degree, similar experience, etc.) If you have no experience or credentials you'll have to start out less expensive.

3.) How dense is this website? (Is there one small marketing paragraph per page or loads of highly technical copy?)

4.) How organized is the client? (In other words how much groundwork are you expected to do?) Do they know what they want and have information for you to draw from, or are you starting from scratch? The more research and thinking you have to do, the more expensive it should be.

5.) Are they are major corporation with a big budget, a friend or relative who wants to try going into business, or something in between? (Friends should get a discount, if you bid too inexpensively when it comes to large companies, they may think you're unprofessional.) Has the client discussed pay with you? They may have a set budget.

6.) Beyond money, what is the value of the project to you? Can you use it for your portfolio? Is it an interesting job that you will enjoy? There are other compensations besides money.

7.) Where do you live? Big city rates and small town rates may differ.

10.) Can you work for home and set your own hours, or do you have to show up on-site?

I would suggest that you find a rate between $20 and $40 per hour and stick with that.

If it's a small project, you could potentially give it a set rate of a few hundred dollars. HOWEVER - if you do this, then you must specify a limit on the number of rounds of revisions (changes and edits) that you will include - otherwise you may end up spending too much time for the money.

I would suggest that you get client feedback at certain points (after writing the outline, after writing the home page, etc. to ensure that you are on the right track and that they like what you're doing. This way you will have fewer revisions.)

If these are people you don't know - and a company that is not established, get a signed contract that gives you a down payment (retainer to work against) plus a payment midway through the project and a final payment upon delivery.

• 1 decade ago

If you are any good - don't sell yourself short! Most people charge a rate per word. Or if you think there is going to be a lot of writng and re-writing you might want to set an hourly rate.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

What is your time worth?

What your doing is lot like scripting, which is about $15.00 to $25.00 an hour.

Do over price the job.

If your good and priced right, word of mouth will bring more business.

I would do $20.00 an hour

Good luck

• 1 decade ago

Depends on what formats you can write, and how much they expect. Simple HTML to make a visible page, $35 per hour. If you write PHP, JavaScript, flash animation, and can make forms, etc, $50 to $100, depending on how much the client wants.

KrazyKyngeKorny(Krazy, not stupid)

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

look around and see what professional sites charge for that service. then knock off about 40% until you are established.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

well what languages are you using? how many pages? etc around £25 an hour

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Over $100 I can tell you.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

$40/hour or about $40/ 8X11 page

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

do it by the hour, not the job...say $25 an hour would be reasonable.

• 5 years ago

a lot

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.