Renting a room to a friend? Positive and Negative Experiences please :)?

In a few weeks my friend will be moving in to my 2-bd condo and renting a room (on a trial basis we have both agreed but I am thinking no more than one year). PLEASE provide some insight as to what could go wrong and how to prepare and/or avoid a negative experience? Also please provide any positive experiences and how you made it work?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best Answer

Negative

I've done this several times and had both good and bad experiences. Make up a rental agreement just like you had to sign when you moved there. Put everything on paper and be sure both of you know ahead of time what the house rules are. If you're going to include utilities, factor that in right away, but with the provision to raise the rent if they use way above normal use. Think about kitchen and bathroom privileges and know what your boundaries are right now. Dont be afraid to list the tiniest thing, because those little things can seem a lot larger down the road. Think about smoking and having alcohol in the place. On the good side, I've had the same room-mate for 3 years now and there have been few to no problems at all. I dont want to tell you about the not so hot ones. I'm sure you know what would annoy you and consider how you would feel if you had to live with it on a daily basis. Good luck-and the extra money is sure nice.

Look buddy, it doesn't really matter how many pos. or neg. exp-ses you'll find here. An act like this is an excellent test on your friendship, and more than that - on your friend's sense of character and responsibility. If you rent the condo and they (you never mentioned gender) don't hold up to their part of the bargain, you'll learn things about them you... might not've wanted to know, but would surface eventually. What's at stake here? The well-being of your condo, or is there more?

I would guess your friend would feel far more responsible for keeping the place intact, to say the least, than a stranger, right? If a problem comes up with their payments, I'd approach it with caution, be lenient, but in back of your mind you'll know that they're not as dependable as you thought.

Truth is, if you knew each other for years now and you trust them, everything should go smoothly. If it doesn't, it might not be your friend's fault, either. Good luck!

• yuvid6

The best way to measure a friendship is to live with that person. You may like the way your condo is decorated but you have to make some room for your friends ideas. You may like a relaxed environment while your friend only enjoys a neat tidy environment e.g. every shared space clean, every dish washed, every window spotless. Have you considered noise, (stereo, tv, visiting friends or parties) you may be on a different wavelength than your friend. Your friend may want other friends or lovers overnight. Can you handle that? Your friend may run your phone bill up, eat up the food you bought and not replace it. Unless that person is a co-renter on a lease you will be responsible for any damage. What about pets?

Bad Idea! However, since you are going to here is what you HAVE to do to be protected when you have to take your "friend" to court:

1. Have written rules BEFORE he/she moves in.

2. Have the person sign a statement at the bottom of the rules that he/she understands the rules, and date the signature.

3. Spell out what to do about food. Who buys what, do you share everything, is a certain place set aside for each person's foodstuffs, etc.

4. Who does the laundry, vacuums the floors, cleans the bathrooms, kitchen, etc.

5. Having others over especially sleepovers (should not happen) but if it does, make rules on whether the sleepover person is allowed to eat, bathe, stay more than one night; etc.

6. Pets. outline if yes or no and who cleans up after the pet

7. Make the written agreement for one year, in writing, dated and signed by both parties.

Do not be afraid or timid about this. Just introduce it by saying, to protect BOTH OF US, I would like us to agree on the ground rules, in writing, so there will be no misunderstandings down the road. If your "friend" refuses to sign, refuse to allow him/her to move in.

good luck with this.

Source(s): been there, done that. Got burned, and learned a valuable lesson.

It can work. I lived with a friend for a year ( I rented the room) and it worked out pretty well. As long as there is respect everything else works out. Make sure that the rules are CLEAR from the start. It is important to be clear about how much will be paid, when it will be paid, cleaning, food, TV time, visitors, and so on... Things that might look like common sense to you may not be so common sense to your friend so make sure that you are clear about your expectations. I recently moved out b/c I got married. But this friend was my maid of honor to my wedding and we are close friends. So, it really can work. Best of luck.

• Doug R

Write it down, write it down, write it down!! When you get into renting a room to a "friend" (who can easily become an arch enemy), you both need to be clear as to what you expect from him/her and what they expect of you - then write it in the form of a contract. Leave yourself some room to boot him/her out if they don't fulfill your part of the deal. Some people are lax in paying, don't clean up after themselves, abuse priveleges, etc.(don't assume that the good ole boy won't either). Leave it open for change should things go sour. Definitely put a time limit (I suggest 6 months) on the deal and have verbage written and agreed on to look at the situation at the end of that time. Hopefully everything will work out peachy, but be aware that the three times I tried it, things went to pot in about three months on the average. The 4th and 5th times using my rules, everything went well (by then I knew how to pick people as well). Good luck.

I rented a room in my house to a friend and it was a disaster! They don't respect your stuff because they are only renting. You own it so you take better care of things. Be prepared for science projects in the refrigerator and people you wouldn't usually have in your house. You might think you know her friends but believe me you don't. Don't ever have a party either because that will be the end of friendship without a doubt.

Source(s): Kicked two friends out of the house.
  • pete

I had a negative experience with this. I rented a room from someone.

One thing you need to do is put everything in writing--amount of rent, who cleans what, what to set the thermostat on, how to handle buying groceries, what happens if roomie wants to move out early, etc.

Source(s): experience

First thing is get EVERYTHING in writing!! ex: who is paying what...if your name is on the lease and theirs is not then YOU are responsible for the condo.

I am a female and over the years I have had 2 females and 1 male roommate, at separate times. The male was the best. He did not borrow my clothes or flirt with my boyfriends.

I hope it works out for you, in my case it ruined 2 very good friendships.