Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Question for Christian belivers among us?

First let me say that I am a true Christian believer and I believe that the Bible is the true word of God. Cover to cover.

Having said that, here is my question.

Seems to me that the atheists that hang on this thread tend to claim that those who believe are ignorant, naive and uneducated because we believe without doubt. They say that because they are educated they don't believe in such tales as are told in Gods word and hint that they are smarter than us believers.

Is it their intention to always try to disprove the stories of the Bible so that they can say to themselves that they are actually smarter than God as well? Agree or disagree?

I do note hate them, but I do pray that the blinders will someday be lifted from their eyes.

Thank you and God bless.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

How could anyone who choses death over life be smart?

How could anyone who ignores all the evidence be intelligent?

><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>

The proof and evidence is all around you and everywhere, undeniable proof, and indisputable visible evidence. It is called creation and life. Unless your are blind, deaf, and senseless. You can see, smell, taste, hear, feel, and examine the evidence.

We live on a planet teeming with life. Plant life with approximately 250,000 species, animal life with over a million species. Scientists are learning just how complex life is. So complex that it requires design. The evidence of design requires a designer. Scientists are also learning the conditions for life; just how perfect conditions here on planet Earth are to support all this life.

The human brain, it absorbs forty megabytes per second of data while awake. That is two terabytes of data a day. At night, it sorts and stores that data through the creation of new chemical bonds and synaptic connectors.

Sure, right, this all just happened and evolved. This sort of thinking takes considerable faith, exponentially more faith than believing in a creator.

• 1 decade ago

While I agree that the standard response of the "supposed" atheists here is that of intellectual superiority based on self-determination, I would suggest that this is not an accurate assessment of most atheists.

However, I would also suggest that there is no intellectual superior position in the debate about God and man. This is because we have seen that among the most highly educated academics there is still debate on this topic, with much the same reasoning as there is on the level we engage in every day.

When someone states that Jesus, the apostles, etc never existed, it is clearly a statement made absent of any understanding of history. The real debate is not that these people existed (which is considered a factual statement in any academic institution today), it is whether these people were who they claimed they were. To debunk the stories in the Bible is difficult, because they cover events that are often not a part of mainstream history (excepting the creation and flood narratives).

I suspect the majority of opinions placed here that the Bible is completely myth are by people who only want to stir up debate or hostility; it is probably only a small fraction who truly believe that nothing in the Bible is factual.

• 1 decade ago

I'm an atheist, but I hope you don't mind my putting in my 2 cents worth.

First, atheists do tend to be better educated than believers. That having been said, I do not mean to leave the impression that believers are stupid. However, I do believe that they are deluded. That can happen to very smart people.

As far as why we show evidence that the Bible is not inerrent, this is a reaction to some believers trying to shove their doctrine of an inerrent Bible down our throats and up our hinder parts.

I do not hate believers (my wife and daughter are Christians) but I sincerely hope that "the blinders will someday be lifted frome their eyes."

• 1 decade ago

You're probably right. We claim that God is wiser than all. If they can, somehow, prove they are smarter than God, Himself, then ALL Christian points are void.

But I would guess for many, they simply want to defend their beliefs. I'm not sure why they do it in this forum. If I ask a question regarding, say, the Ten Commandments; it's no influence to me for an atheist to answer that the Ten Commandments were made up by man. I already disagree with that; I'm looking for a spiritual answer.

Anyway, I pray for them, too. But you have to admit, they keep us on our toes.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Paul wrote this

1 Corinthians 1:\

22 Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom,

23 but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles,

24 but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.

25 For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength.

26 Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth.

27 But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.

28 He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are,

29 so that no one may boast before him.

30 It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.

31 Therefore, as it is written: "Let him who boasts boast in the Lord."

It is obvious that many of them are wise in their own eyes, the Greeks of this age. I remember listening to a debate between Richard Dawkins and Alister McGrath and just kept thinking how arrogant Mr Dawkins was and how he like to say... we will figure it out soon. :-) Atheists call Christians delusional, stupid and many other insults but in this they show their nature and their self pride and perhaps even some guilt or anger at Christians being good.

Christians are to show our love, humility, and kindness and I see it in people like Mother Theresa and organizations like Compassion, Samaritans purse and World Vision.

I'll take our foolishness and believe in God and follow Jesus anyday! If for no other reason that even if I am wrong I have tried to make the world better and lived a good life.... and if I am right..... YAHOO!!

God Bless

Todd

• 1 decade ago

Because unbelievers are spiritually blind, dear one, they don't understand why people believe there is a God. And their not understanding is often translated into rudeness, mockery and ignorance.

When any of them says something hurtful or ignorant, they should be immediately prayed for as God would have us do. For they truly "know not what they do."

God bless you!

Source(s): <><
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

First to Cuchlain, above - great response an great name.

I also agree with teh above response that the idea of being "smarter than God" doesn't make sense from an atheist's perspective, by definition.

Further, if we classify intelligence and wisdom purely by who is the most rational, they have us licked, absolutely. We are comfortable dealing in petty, naive, irrational concepts like faith, love, and hope - all of which are completey beyond rational thought. If intelligence includes all of that experience of being human, than a person of any faith would be, by definition, "smarter" than an atheist. But it wouldn't mean a thing to anyone, you see?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No, they have something to grap onto and argue because there are errors and flaws in the Bible. Atheists think if they can disprove one part then it is all wrong...or they can shake the faith of Christian believers. And they might be able to shake some, but not me...I know there are flaws.

~ Eric Putkonen

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

by definition, atheists don't believe that there is a God, so I'm pretty sure they aren't trying to say they are smarter than Him.

I'm not sure that they/we are saying that you are ignorant because you believe so devoutly, but rather find difficulty with anyone who simply takes one version as fact. If I lived in a cave and believed that the only light source available is the sun, would I too not be ignorant?

• 1 decade ago

I do agree. When I first came to R&S I was shocked when I recieved over 20 MEAN responces in less than 10 minutes.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.