Is Austin, Texas overrated?

What the hell, man? I don't get it. It's like the most sprawl I've ever seen. Strip mall after boring strip mall. Lived here for 9 months now. What's so "weird" about Austin? Is it the "music scene" which consists of basically mediocre musicians? I just don't get what... show more What the hell, man? I don't get it. It's like the most sprawl I've ever seen. Strip mall after boring strip mall. Lived here for 9 months now. What's so "weird" about Austin? Is it the "music scene" which consists of basically mediocre musicians? I just don't get what all the hype is for.
Way disappointed. Where's the character in this city? All I see are strip malls. The "cool" places are tiny little pockets dispersed within the city that takes a freakin' hour to go to because of all the traffic and god willing you don't get run down by a 16 story SUV with a desperate housewife behind the wheel on the way there. I know this sounds really cynical, but, I just don't get the "weirdness".
Update: I actually lived in South Austin for 7 months and had to move up to NW for my job. The south was a little better, but so freaking congested-rage was inspired daily.