Should my husband have the hernia patch removed?

My husband had a hernia repair in April. I received an e-mail from the maker of the "hernia patch" stated that it has been recalled. He is not having pain and his surgeon seems to think it is no big deal. This is the email: The U.S. Food and Drug Administration and Devol, Inc., a subsidiary of C.R. Bard... show more My husband had a hernia repair in April. I received an e-mail from the maker of the "hernia patch" stated that it has been recalled. He is not having pain and his surgeon seems to think it is no big deal. This is the email:
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration and Devol, Inc., a subsidiary of C.R. Bard initiated a recall on December 5th 2005 for its Bard Composix Kugel Mesh Large Oval and Large Circle Patch which were designed to treat ventricle hernias.The patch is inserted through a small incision and is placed behind the hernia. A "memory recoil ring" is used to keep the patch closed until after it has been inserted in the body.The purpose of the patch is to prevent the hernia from pushing through weakened tissue walls, specifically in cases when stomach muscles are too weak for surgery to repair the hernia. However, the "memory recoil ring" can break under the stress of placement in the body, resulting in bowel perforations and chronic intestinal fistulae.
1 answer 1