Help selling my house!?

We've had our home near Clearwater/St Pete FL on the market for almost a month. It's a terrific family house that's close to the beach (but no flood, no evac) with 4 bdrms and 2,140 sqft and TONS of upgrades/updates. We had professional packers/stagers come in to get the place show-ready. It's priced to move and my real estate agent is rumored to be the best in the area. Our neighborhood is supposedly a very desireable neighborhood, close to terrific schools and etc.

So, that all being said, we've had ONE potential buyer/looker since the house listed. Since then, NOTHING. The house has a sign out front and it's listed in MLS, but so far, that's it. I think there's an open house scheduled for sometime in the next few weeks, but do open houses really sell houses? I hear stories about open houses that have ZERO attendance.

Does anyone have any idea of HOW to get people to come look? I think that if people actually came in to see the place, it might sell.

Helps!

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Unfortunately the market is tough right now. I am a Realtor in Lakeland, FL and many homes out here are taking 12 months and longer to sell.

As for Open Houses, only 1% of homes sell through an Open House.

Ask your Realtor to do a CMA (Comparative Market Analysis) of your home based on sales in your area in the last six months, Actives in the last six months, and Withdrawns in the last six months. You should be priced just above the most recent sold (take into consideration your square footage, please), AND just below the other homes on the market. If your price is in the Withdrawn level, you are priced too high.

Other hints and tips include upping your commission to a higher percentage to induce Realtors to show your home or offering a Realtor Bonus of $500-$2000.

Price is the cure for everything in this market. Drop your price even $100 a week in the MLS and it will force the listing to show up as a reduction and come back to the attention of all the buyers in the market that are set up on automatic pilot for listings that fit their criteria to be sent to them via e-mail on a daily basis.

Also consider offering Buyer bonuses; seller paid closing costs, cosmetic upgrade allowance, or even a savings bond in whatever amount to be paid at closing.

Make sure that you have home for sale signs with arrows from major roads to your home. This will help alot if you are tucked back in a neighborhood. Make sure however that you do not place the signs in the right of ways as the garbage men will usually take them to the dump.

One last hint..."Yellow flowers sell houses." Yellow is cheerful and adds color to the outside of your home. Don't ask me why it works...but it does.

When all else fails, if you are in dire need, consider asking your Realtor to do a short sale which is negotiating with the bank to sell the home for less than you owe. You walk away with no money, but you don't have the dragon on your back either.

MeLynda Rinker

Keller Williams Realty of Lakeland

Source(s): Active Realtor
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

The first thing you should do is go out and look at your competition - the other homes on the market. How do you match up? You may have been well-priced for the market of 12-months ago- but how about now? You may be surprised. Many places in Florida especially are swamped with properties for sale with few buyers.

Partly this is because of the tightening of the mortgage market means lots of people who could get financing before can't now - or are afraid they can't so they don't try.

There might be 6 buyers for 10 houses. You have to be an excellent value - either by far the nicest house of all of the others at your price range - or the clear cheapest for the ones similar to yours. You can't be "one of the best". This is a buyer's market - so the things people were doing in 2001 are what works.

Here are some ways to bring more interest:

1) Raise the price but raise the agent commission. If given the choice of a property selling at a 6% commission - and one selling at 8% - the agents will MUCH prefer to show the 8%. You might try this for a short period - such as raise the price 10% (you cancel the previous listing and list a new one) with a 10% commission if you get a full priced, qualified offer in 20 days. Then the commission and price decreases after that.

2) Cut the price - You may think it is priced well, but one showing in one month tells me that there are others on the market at BETTER prices.

3) Offer selling financing, check with your mortgage lender if they would take a buyer to assume the mortgage (many are now, even with "No Assumption" loans) - then you and the real estate agent can advertise it as "Financing Available" or "Owner Financing". This should get more activity.

4) Offer other incentives to get people's attention - Pay for a moving crew to move the buyer's stuff (local move only) - or 6 month's groceries (Prepaid certificates of $600 good at a local super market) for a lower-end property - or 6-month's supply of champagne and chocolate-covered strawberries (delivered once a month through a catering business) for a higher end property. Get creative.

5) Don't only depend on the agent. Make sure you get the word out to everybody you know. Make up a flyer and get it passed out to your neighborhood,l church, club, work, everywhere. Consider offering a $500 finder's fee to someone who sends you your buyer.

Good luck.

Source(s): real estate investor and former agent
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If the open houses are advertised you should get some people through there. it is important you have as many open houses as you can as long as they are advertised. you wont sell the home very easy with a sign alone. It is a buyers market there are alot of beautiful homes that anyone can buy for penny's to the $. so make sure the open houses are being advertised and they have as many as possible.

Source(s): 15 years experiance in housing and urban development
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

In this market, it's all about the price. If you've been on the market for a month and only had one showing, then the market is talking to you and telling you're overpriced. Reduce the price until you get an offer.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Good luck to you,

I live in south florida and my house have been on the market for 4 months, (No offers yet). I am thinking of renting it out for a couple of years and them trying to sell. Hopefully the market will improve at this time. I am listed the lowest in my neighbourhood. ($20,000 less that what I paid for it a couple of years ago)

• 1 decade ago

after putting our house on the market we had the same problem. we had an open house and bang we began to get offers left and right. It really is up to your real estate agent to get people to come look. Good Luck!!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Sounds to me that it is over priced for the current market. Things are still moving when priced right, and you should definately get activity through mls if it looks like there is value.

• 1 decade ago

The problem is no one can get a loan. Why look when you cant get a loan? The mortgage companies have tightened requirements so much you need almost an 800 credit score to get a loan. Besides, it a guaranteed loss to buy right now. Home prices are going down. Why buy one if it's guaranteed to go down in value over the next two years?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071027/ap_on_bi_ge/wa...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

ask your friends what it looks like from the street, if its not attractive, buyers won't get past the first impression.

trim up the shrubs, plant fresh flowers, always have the grass mowed. is your siding a strange color, maybe the garage door needs painting.

also, remove all un-necessary items in your home, putthem instorage, clean your carpets, remove pets to your inlaws.

make sure your house is clean and fresh smelling.

again ask your friends for their honest opinion.

keep in touch with your agent, ask them why its not selling.

• 1 decade ago

From what I hear you should offer free gifts to those that come through (Like car dealerships) or offer a vacation, car, gift certificate, ect.. to someone who buys the house. It stinks to have to do that but in this market you need all the help you can get.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.