SINDY
Lv 7
SINDY asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

What/Who is "Frick and Frack"? What does this mean? What's the origin of Frick, Frack, and both together?

I've heard people say this (Frick and Frack) in reference to couples and/or sticking together- For example: Bonnie and Clyde, white on rice, cards and dice, etc... Why? Sorry (correcting myself), I know WHY people say it but would like to know HOW this came to be a part of our language.

Honestly, I haven't wondered about it 'til now. Just "popped" into my head.

Answers, anyone?

Thanks.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Frick and Frack is for any two people who are closely linked in some way, especially through a work partnership.

The origin is from a famous partnership of Swiss comedy ice skaters, Werner Groebli and Hans Mauch, whose stage names these were. They came to public fame in the later years of a series of skating spectaculars called Ice Follies, promoted by Eddie Shipstad and his brother Roy, which began in 1936 and ran for almost 50 years. Their association lasted so long, and they were at one time so well known, that their names have gone into the language.

Michael Mauch, the son of Hans, told me in a personal message about the origin of their names: “Frick took his name from a small village in Switzerland; Frack is a Swiss-German word for a frock coat, which my father used to wear in the early days of their skating act. They put the words together as a typical Swiss joke.”

Source(s): wikipedia has more info....
  • 4 years ago

Two Swiss ice skaters who joined the Ice Folies in the 1930's and were closely associate until Frick became ill and could not be part of the act anymore. Frack continued on for several more years.

• 3 years ago

Frick And Frack

• Rain
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Frick and Frack were two Swiss skaters who came to the U.S. and joined the original Ice Follies show as comedy ice skaters.

Frick" was Werner Groebli, born April 21, 1915, in Basel, Switzerland. "Frack" was Hansreudi (Hans) R. Mauch, May 4, 1919, in Basel, Switzerland. Frick and Frack were known for skating in Alpine Lederhosen and performing eccentric tricks on ice.

Frick and Frack" has become an English slang term used to refer to two people so closely associated as to be indistinguishable. The term has become sufficiently generic that people unrelated to the original pair have begun using it themselves.

Frick and Frack remains fairly common one in North America for any two people who are closely linked in some way, especially through a work partnership.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What/Who is "Frick and Frack"? What does this mean? What's the origin of Frick, Frack, and both together?

I've heard people say this (Frick and Frack) in reference to couples and/or sticking together- For example: Bonnie and Clyde, white on rice, cards and dice, etc... Why? Sorry (correcting myself), I know WHY people say it but would like to know HOW this came to be a part of our...

Source(s): quot frick frack quot 39 origin frick frack together: https://shortly.im/SYv58
  • 1 decade ago

Quote: ""Frick and Frack" has become an English slang term used to refer to two people so closely associated as to be indistinguishable"

I think that says it all! In my opinion I think its just a term that has been around for a while, just like "tom and jerry", "george and mildred".... sort of inseperable and it would be unknown to not have the 2 together at any one time or apart for any certain amount of time....i guess its just what gels together....if that makes sense *grin*

Side note: I think Bryan and Nick from the backstreet boys used to always use that phrase too

• 1 decade ago

Frick and Frack were two Swiss skaters who came to the U.S. and joined the original Ice Follies show as comedy ice skaters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frick_and_Frack

• 1 decade ago

My grandparents use that saying all the time, in reference two these two puppies that they often take care of for a neighbour. I took it to mean two close buddies / trouble makers. Although I am not sure on the official meaning, or the origin of the saying.

• 6 years ago

Fracking creates Global Warming. Stanford researcher finds U.S. methane emissions are higher than official estimates

http://youtu.be/R7dLFx3ewrE

Youtube thumbnail

• 4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/7rDqf

I'm just a great big fricker!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.