Why do storm chasers chase?

Whats the purpose of chasing tornados? And how could I find out how to become one, what to study, who to work for, and all that lovely jazz?

• Water
    Favorite Answer

Why do I chase? It is more for love and the respect I have of nature than anything else.

For nearly 40 years now, it has been more of quest for knowledge. As a teenager working on my father's farm, I got caught out in the field, usually the farthermost field from the house, in a thunderstorm or rain. I didn't understand it, I read books and learned a bit about meteorology and decided I needed to better understand how thunderstorms developed and how they created the power they have. I would borrow the family car and drive west to the dry line on days when thunderstorms were forecast to develop. After the first dozen or so storm chases (never saw a tornado during the first 30 or so) I was hooked.

Chasing to most people is boring. Long dreay drives, bad food hastily eaten, no rest areas in the middle of west Kansas, Oklahoma, or Texas, and the only reward is a little hail or a gust of wind in many cases.

Watching the power of the atmosphere at work is fascinating to me. We talk of the power of a fine engine which can crank out 700 horse power. Even a wimpy little thunderstorm is creating several hunderd thousand horse power and a storm that becomes tornadic is likely turning out nearly a billion horses. That my, friend is power. Natural at it's most powerful. It is tremendous what it can do and we have to live with these storms.

I learned to "read" the clouds and by the time I graduated from high school. I didn't get caught out in the fields anymore.

I have been a forecaster since the early 1970s and am near retirement. I hope I get a few more chases in before I get too old to safely chase.

There are few money paying jobs in chasing. Even then, most chasers do not get paid enough to even break even. Most people do it for the love of the storm.

Some times, there is a research grant, or government sponsered study where chasers are paid, but those are few and far between. Nomally, those that are hired for those types of things are veteran chasers or government employees that take leave to participate.

I have receieved no pay for storm chasing, it is just a hobby. I don't chase nearly as much as I use to. When I was young, I would get out maybe 30 or 40 times a year. Now, I am doing good to get out a couple of times a year and only if I have the day off and the situation looks "interesting".

If you have interest in meteorology, get studying. Nearly all jobs in meteorolgy now require a minimum of a bacholars degree and about a third of those hired in the past 5 years have had advanced degrees.

Good luck.

• I chase because I know that what I am doing is helping the public. Many people are alive today because of storm spotters and storm chasers. feel free to check out my site and there you can get links to many spotter groups who will be glad to help get you into chasing.

Source(s): www.trti.org

Same reason dogs chase cars. They can chase but not catch.

its called meteorology - the science dealing with the atmosphere and its phenomena, including weather and climate. news cast weather men go to school for the same thing.

google storm chashers