Is Norton / Symantec the most despicable, evil company in the world of computer software products?

Seriously, the trouble it takes to rid your computer of this anti-virus software which is in itself a virus, is borderline illegal.

This is the third time I've had this same problem.

It comes preinstalled on so many computers and they prevent you at all stages from uninstalling it completely and practically force you to subscribe.

The website links to uninstall it are all dead links.

Software to unistall it is apparently out of date.

Your computer acts funny and it seems to interfere with other programs.

It is a cynical and amoral way to run a business.

Now how can I uninstall this bloody thing?

Best Answer

"Is Norton / Symantec the most despicable, evil company in the world of computer software products?"

No, that would be Microsoft. Norton is in the top 5, though.

If you're having problems removing a Norton product, you should download the Norton removal tool (start here):

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf...

Now, if this is the third time you've had this problem, why didn't you make more effort not to make the same mistake after the first two times?

2

Source(s): Amazing Protection Antivirus Software - http://MoveAntiVirus.com/?tPyt

Yes. They are evil. I uninstalled it from my computer - their website links worked for me... Sorry, I tried everything else and their uninstall directions were the only thing that worked. Funny thing is, they still send me spam to come back.

Deleting Norton from my laptop added 100MB back to my memory and it also reduced my boot-up time from 5 minutes to 30 seconds. I hate them.

Don't bother trying to call their tech support-you're directed to their website. LOL

Weeeeell, I went to the uninstall thing. Phuu! Went to Desktop, and All Programs, deleted shortcuts. Then to Windows Explorer,(Start>All Programs>Accessories>Windows Explorer),>My Computer>Local Disk (C:)>Documents and Settings.Owner,(or your name)>Program Files,(double click, or click on the + sign). Scroll down to Norton, or Symantec, right-click, and delete. Delete from Shared Files, look all through the folders, and files.(You may not have "Show All Hidden Files and Folders" option activated, to do so, in Windows Explorer, go up to the top headings, and click on Tools>Folder Options>View tab, and scroll down to "Show All Hidden Files and Folders", and click the box next to it) After you've looked through all the folders and files, I suggest CCleaner to get rid of the leftover 'tidbits'. Download CCleaner for free, and when it's activated, click the boxes down to Advanced,(not Advanced!), and then click on Anaylze. See the leftover files from Symantec/Norton? Now click on Run Cleaner. Bye-bye Norton! This may not wipe it completely out, I might be fooling myself, but haven't seen hide, or hair of it since!

Never had any problems with Norton (Internet Security). Been using it for 4 years.

Have always used Norton Removal Tool to uninstall it.

its the company that sold you the pc, that is bad for installing it, but most people would not get any protection if it wasn't already there. nortons has a uninstaller on there site.

So far, I haven't had that problem with Norton but, I sure as **** had it with Mcafee!

That incident cost me a $40 phone call!

. . . I'm a little worried now. I have Norton . . .

AMEN BROTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will never, ever, ever, ever, ever install it on my computer ...ever..ever,.. again.

You have to go to the Registry and manually delete any and all details ...if that even works. I think it sucks royally that they design a program that will not uninstall itself. I am now on a new computer that will not ever have that software activated....(but you are right ..it is on here...and lurking)

only to hackers lol okay what version of windows you running

yes. we had to pay for updates and then we got AVG firewall and that works even beat and the goooood thing is that it is free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!