Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 decade ago

Since i want to, eventually, become a State Game Warden, would a degree in park management/ law enforcement be

a sufficient stepping stone? I'm very interested in eventually becoming a game warden, and i know how competitive entrance to the profession can be...i was wondering if the degree mentioned, including classes in biology/ enviromental biology, park safety and law enforcement, park administration, wildlife management, business math, and basic accounting, along with a few years of work experience, either as a park ranger or entry level cop, would be advantageous later on when i can test for interviews/ job openings as a game/ fish warden? If so, how much of an advantage would it give, and what are some other things, aside from military service, i could do to increase my chances?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • art v
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

I saw an announcement for game warden about a month ago actually. I think they wanted a BS in biology or other horticulture type degree. Try looking at the US Forest Service website, or call them and I'm sure they could give you some advice.

• J.W.
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

Requirements to become a game warden and how you become a game warden depends on the agency that you want to work for. Visit the websites of the agencies that you might want to work for. Agency websites often provide information about their applicant requirements, about how to apply, and about their hiring process. Getting a college degree is one of the best things that you can do. Many law enforcement agencies require or prefer applicants to have college. Having a degree could help you get hired by some agencies. Some agencies pay their officers more if they have a college degree. Having a degree could also help you get promoted during your career. Agronomy, animal science, biology, environmental science, fisheries/wildlife biology, communications, conservation biology, criminal justice, forestry, forest management, natural resource management, range management, range science, agricultural science, zoology, ecology are some majors that you might want to consider. If you are interested in animals and/or the outdoors and law enforcement, you might want to also consider titles such as animal cruelty investigator, humane law enforcement officer, and park ranger. You might be interested in federal jobs such as Uniformed Law Enforcement officer for the United States Forrest Service or Special Agent, Wildlife Inspector for the United States Fish and Wildlife Service, or Special Agent for the Environmental Protection Agency. Consider local, state, and federal jobs. Getting law enforcement officer jobs is becoming more and more competitive. Do whatever you can to make yourself the best candidate that you can. Don't do anything illegal, maintain a good reputation, keep a good driving record, don't get bad credit, improve all of your communication skills as much as possible, and become as physically fit as you can.

• 1 decade ago

If this is what you want to do, then arm yourself with plenty of qualifications.

These jobs are usually state or federal civil service,many people are applying for them ( good payand job security0 and those who havethe jobs seldon quit exceot when they reture. They;re tough jobs to get.

Such a degree would spell out that you have the proper education. If you wanted to be an English teacher, you;d major in English. Right? And don't underestimate how your military service helps you. That means a lot.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.