Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicTelevisionComedy · 1 decade ago

Why do people like clean comedy better then blue comedy now adays?

Back in the 80's folks loved Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy, now comedy clubs prefer to hire clean comics, and crowds prefer to go see clean comedy in general. Why did peoples preference change?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

There is no accounting for taste. Preferences for clean comics over blue ones changed for the same reason that preferences change for anything that people consume on a regular basis.

Say you like pizza more than any other food, say you have a passion for it, even. Now, imagine that you ate pizza every day for twenty years (from the 80's on). Most people will become tired of something that they favor if they consume it too often. It is the same way with comedy.

Source(s): Experience; intuition.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Not sure that's entirely true. It's been a while since I heard a Chris Rock performance, but I recall that he's not afraid of obscenities. Then again, his routines are (were?) so solidly constructed that the laughs were all but guaranteed; he could speak Urdu while wearing a tutu and still bring the house down.

Perhaps part of the appeal of Richard Pryor (loved him) and Eddie Murphy (sorta liked him) was sheer novelty. But novelty soon wears thin and as you observe, audiences return to their original demand: "We want FUNNY, d@mmit!"

And these days, funny abounds. Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert have more material than they know what to do with. As for obscenity, who needs it when the very topics are obscene? -- war, fraud, hypocrisy, et bloody cetera.

• 1 decade ago

I have been impressed with blue comedy. i use to cringe at freddy star but like peter kay its clean.

• 1 decade ago

It sounds dumb hearing alot of foul words all the time. Parents want to spend time with their kids so they see these entertainers.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

people came to their sinces and realized people do not want to hear all the filth. people do not want to here cussing and body parts, body fluids etc, it is disrespectful to others for one, and it plainly shows, their parents didn't care how they were raised.

• 1 decade ago

evry thng has 2 b "politically correct" now

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.