Will
Will asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

anybody Yankee fans remember 1978 when Billy Martin & Reggie Jackson's ego's clashed ?

What are your thoughts of there personalities ? Billy Martin was a great baseball strategist wasn't he ? Reggie Jackson was a great clutch hitter wasn't he ?

Billy Martin was a great baseball strategist and Reggie Jackson was a great batter. Reggie Jackson could hit the home runs and make Runs batted in. Also Yankee fans take baseball seriously.

• Bob G
    Favorite Answer

Opinion on both as baseball player and manager? Yes, both were great.

As people? Part of the reason watching the two of them was so enjoyable was that they deserved each other.

Jackson was kind of an arrogant jerk. On the other hand....

Martin was an alcoholic that drank with his players (i.e. - he didn't maintain very professional relationships). Before the Yankees, Martin made the Twins into a winner and still got fired (fist fight with one of his pitchers in a bar). He turned the Rangers into winners and still got fired. He was tolerated as a person because he won wherever he managed.

The relationship was a little like Sprewell and Carlesimo. Trying to choke your coach to death is always wrong, but only in sports could someone like Carlesimo get a job as a supervisor. Sports just aren't like real life. Jackson was always an arrogant jerk, but having Martin as a manager tended to amplify all of the bad points of his personality.

Oh, yeah. The slugout in the dugout. Ha ha ha. Billy Martin was one of the truly great managers of all-time. He took 5 different teams to the post season. Reggie was Mr. October and Mr. Charisma. Only the Mick had more. Those were some dang good Yankee teams.

I was watching the Game of the Week on NBC the day they went at each other in the dugout in Boston. This was before ESPN so we weren't bombarded by it 24/7. But it was controversial. Billy had a reputation as a hard *** and Reggie was flamboyant and a big talker.

I was in my eary teens when Reggie was playing and all I can remember is how you could always count on that guy to pound one out of the park when needed. He was amazing.

I was not born in 1978 to see it Personally myself , but i heard that they dint get a long that and they dint get along either in 1977

They both have big egos so that was part of the clash. They had their good points, also.

I remember it too....it was depicted very well in "Bronx is burning" a miniseries on espn...now on dvd.