House cleaning burnout?

I've been a housewife for 14 years, my youngest kid is 6 now and including my husband everyone always makes a mess. They "help out" sometimes but everything is always messy and I can't keep up. I went on strike a few years ago, (big mistake because it was a bigger mess for me to clean up... show more I've been a housewife for 14 years, my youngest kid is 6 now and including my husband everyone always makes a mess. They "help out" sometimes but everything is always messy and I can't keep up. I went on strike a few years ago, (big mistake because it was a bigger mess for me to clean up later)

How can I avoid the clean up, burn out blues? How come after all these years I still can't keep up even after giving everyone their chores? I hate house cleaning in the first place, but it has to be done, but it takes up the majority of my days. I do take a couple of days off for crafts and other home improvements, but the mess won't go away, it's like my house is plagued. Who else suffers with this?