Why Do People Lie About Such Little, Stupid Things?

:-(

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Pat K
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

I think it relates to our beliefs or rationalizations about lying. We see "little white lies" as OK lies because they are the better of two evils, one being telling a lie, and the other being upsetting or hurting someone or getting into trouble.

We all lie sometimes, perhaps without even realizing it. E.g., if a friend asks you "So how do you like my boyfriend?" are you going to say, "I think he's a complete jerk. I can't stand him." I don't think so. Most people might lie and say something innocuous like, "He seems like an interesting guy." And to me, that seems better than alienating a friend.

There are other reasons for little lies too, I suppose, like trying to make a "good impression," saving money on your taxes, trying to fit in with the crowd, etc.

• 1 decade ago

There is no such thing as a Little Lie

It either is a Lie

Or Not

Only 1 size a Lie

• 1 decade ago

Because sometimes the risk of lying is greater than the reward of telling the truth. In other words, there's more adversity that comes from being truthful sometimes.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

because it's a little thing they think it's ok to alter the truth a little...but it's not, lying is a horrible thing to do...& it's hard to gain trust back once you've lost it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because as PD Ouspensky so eloquently put it, if man were to be honest, and reclassify his own species, he would name it "Homo Sapiens, Lying Animal"...

No other species lies as compulsively. Not even my smart-@ss dogs...

Source(s): Maybe we're just smarter than we look? Yeah, that's why we do it...we're sly little foxes!
  • 1 decade ago

becuz they cant lie about big things i guess......some people lie when the truth would sound much better

• 1 decade ago

I think it's that they enjoy lying. I have never understood it. In the end they always get caught

• 1 decade ago

i have no idea..

once this idiot girl lied to me about what school she went to..

meanwhile she went to my school !!

& i've seen her around campus before..

it's like what the hell is wrong with you to have to lie about something that small..

• 1 decade ago

It's better then the big things if you ask me.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

because people are selfish, and they want to suit others beliefs arround their needs.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.