Dislocated knee or knee cap?

About 7/8 years ago, I "dislocated" my knee, it didnt come out all the way, but seemed to dislodge then go back into place when I sat down.

Ever since its been very unstable, I have collapsed on it twice (while hardly doing anything at all) I was standing still and just twisted slightly to get something, and it just collapsed, but went back on its own, so I didnt go into hospital to get it checked out..

Sometimes I can feel it come out slightly (such is an awful feeling, not really painful tho, unless it comes out alot)

Anyone know anything about how I can strengthen it, without sitting in the casualty department for hours, then they say (theres nothing we can do) lol

Thanks all :)

9 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

    The way you are describing it, it sounds like a torn ligament, probably the ACL. You'd need an MRI to be sure, and surgery if that is the problem. If it feels like your calf just comes a little bit separated from the thigh part of the knee, and sometimes doesn't go back together right, I'd bet that that's it. You can have someone test this for you--lay flat on your back, and have them grab your calf and see if they can gently pull it away from your knee--there shouldn't be much give there (he can pull your other leg for comparison).

    If it looks like this and surgery isn't an option, you need to get the muscles in your leg as strong as possible, but without sports or other activities that could make your leg twist in a weird way. Lifting weights, swimming, elliptical trainers, and walking through a pool are good exercises to get strength. Note that that strength will only help prevent it from going out--but until you can get surgery, if you stand or step on it wrong it will go out again .

    When my knee was blown, I had special trouble with movements that separate the knee--running full speed, pushing off that leg to lunge, or anything where my leg was flying through the air quickly.

  • 1 decade ago

    Yes I really can help you here!

    I did the same as a teenager playing netball, several times. I used to push it back in myself, to everyone's horror. I was screaming in pain, and the only way to get rid of the pain was to push it back in!

    But the best thing you can do ( I am now 61 and knees are bad with arthritis as a result of it) is to do quadriceps extensor exercises. This is the big muscle on the front of your thigh.

    First, when lying in bed or sitting with your legs out straight in front, clench and unclench the muscles above your kneecaps 20 times each side. Do this 3 times twice a day.

    Also in the same position, keeping your leg straight, raise and lower each leg separately, keeping it straight at the knee, 30 times! You may not be able to do it that many times at first, but start with maybe 15 times and build it up.

    These exercises will strengthen the muscles around your kneecaps and if they are strong the kneecaps will stop jumping out. This really works!

    If you go to a physiotherapist they may give you some others to do as well, and they are the experts in this!

    Source(s): 50 years of doing these exercises, advised by a physiotherapist!
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    i know how you feel...i have the same problem!!after going through many sessions of physical therapy, my doctor suggested doing this exercise: buy 5-lb ankle weights (normally about $6-$10 at any store that sells exercise weights), and wrap them around the knee that is unstable...sit on a chair with knee flexed 90 degrees, and left that leg till it's straight. start out doing 2 sets of 10...then work yourself up to 3 sets of 15. basically, it is strengthening the muscle right around the knee cap that snaps in somewhat back into place when you're walking.

    i would do it with the uninjured knee (leg) too...just so you dont feel as if one leg is building more muscle than the other! obviously the muscle gain will not be noticeable, as it is inside..but you should give it a try. i tried it and it stabilized it a lot for me....sometimes i still get pains....and i can feel it come out of the socket......but then i just do the exercises.

    also- make sure you dont REGULARLY wear high heels or flat shoes as they can mess up your posture and balance. its a good idea to wear a good pair of shoes (sneakers)...with Dr. Scholls gel pad on the sole so it doesn't give your knees any shock.

    hope that helps!!!

    Source(s): personal experience
  • Zinia
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

    happened to many many times in high school. So between age's 16-18. I was heavy set and in marching band playing a heavy instrument doing snap movement. I have dislocated my kneecap many times first went through physical therapy, then a splint, a brace, then finally had two pins placed in that knee. Haven't had any problems since. Surgery didn't hurt, though it took me a good 3 weeks to get back walking normally again. But it was well worth it.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    I don't think it was your actual knee you dislocated but more like your patella or knee cap.

    You see there's so many ligaments that hold your knee in place but only two that hold your patella in place. That means to dislocate your knee youu would have to have experienced a major traumatic event. Both tendons are very tough but your patella runs in a groove at the end of your femur, and it can, SOMETIMES, jump out the groove.

  • 1 decade ago

    Ask your doctor to refer you to a physiotherapist.

    In the mean time, take up swimming. It will provide exercise without placing any actual strain on the knee.

    Make sure you are wearing proper shoes. Unsupportive shoes can cause your feet to roll in or out, placing a strain on your knees.

  • 1 decade ago

    Go to an orthopedic surgeon who will take xrays and possibly send you for an mri. This is the only sure way you will know what is wrong without doing more damage.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Its hard to say. Go to an orthopedic surgeon who'll do x rays and MRi and physically check your nkees and go from there

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    See a doctor right away!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.