How come my cookies always over bake on the bottoms?

They are not over baked,Just the bottoms are black.I do every thing I think I should.Pre-heat oven,rack in center of oven,time with a timer,use cookie sheets,(that have been used for cookies only,not burn,or dark) Help!!!!

I use double layered cookie sheets,I thought that was the problem too.Unsprayed.

• sky
    Favorite Answer

Maybe you need to adjust the oven temperature. Check the oven, often, when it's on, to make sure the thermostat works okay and it turns off when it reaches the right temperature.

Most likely problems, as noted previously:

* Flimsy cookie sheets conduct heat unevenly, result in uneven baking. Find a restaurant supply shop and buy professional baking sheets (±$15 for what is called a "half-sheet" pan) which are heavier (i.e., hold and disburse heat more uniformly) than the cookie sheets you buy elsewhere.

* Inconsistent oven, may be running quite a bit hotter than the thermostat setting. Buy a good oven thermometer ($10-$12) and use it to determine whether your settings match the actual temperature. Then make adjustments as necessary (which may mean calling the appliance repair person to recalibrate the thermostat).

I always recommend using parchment paper to line the bottom of a baking sheet which not only promotes more even baking but makes clean-up a lot easier.

Good luck! And when you're turning out batches of totally amazing cookies, send some over here for Quality Control.

This used to happen to me to. The cookies still cook when you take them out of the oven because the cookie sheet is so hot. Take them off the cookie sheet immediately and put them on a cooling rack or just take them out 3-5 minutes earlier and them finish cooking on the cookie sheet outside of the oven, that's what I do.

You either have a unevenly cooking oven, or are using poor quality cookie sheets.

Buy a nice Calphalon cookie sheet at Bed Bath & Beyond. If that doesn't help-it's your oven.

Sam's has great cookie sheets too!

I had this problem too. I started lining the cookie sheets with parchment paper. It works great.

Make sure you trim the paper so you don't have a lot hanging over the sides of the cookie sheet, otherwise it will burn.

If you really are preheating, center rack, etc... Check your oven's accuracy with an oven thermometer. Also be sure to remove the cookies from the sheet as soon as you remove them from the oven.

• marie

Are your cookie sheets shiny silver? Non-stick? That could be it. Also, your oven could be heating hotter than the dial says. Try turning it down by 25 degrees each time and see if that improves.

• ken G

Most likely a poor quality sheet pan Get good 1/2 sheets at a restaurant supply store or Williams Sonoma.

Cookie sheets are available that have a double sheet of metal. This extra layer of insulation prevents burning.

Are you using a non-stick spray? Sometimes, the extra butter will cook the bottoms faster, thus making them black underneath. Also, it may depend on the batter you're using. Too much sugar will caramelize the bottoms faster. Use a non-stick spray that has flour in it, or better yet buy a Silpat. It's a flexible non-stick sheet that many pastry chefs use. It doesn't burn or cause burns, and you don't need any extra non-stick spray.