Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 decade ago

Public Transport?

I recently rang an enquiry line to request the return rail fare for two adults and 4 children from Durham to Heathrow. The price quoted was just over £1600.

Why would anyone ever want to use public transport?

ken p - not a miss print, not a mistake, ring up yourself and try it.

By the way, I do own a car but thought I would give this eco thing a try, wont try again though.

I seem to remember Clarkson saying that the noxious output from a diesel locomotive is greater than that which would be created if a train load of passengers took their own cars.

You wont get assaulted in your own car, you wont have to listen to others singing and swearing and using the mobile and you wont have to get to and from the station in the cold and wet.

You wont be standing throughout the journey, you wont be left standing on a platform, you wont pay exhorbitant prices for snack andwont have to sit and pretend you are not looking at the miserable git sat opposite.

So I'll stick to my 2800cc car and belch out loads of pollution.

Untill such time as this country can offer a reasonable alternative

Fred 3663

I dont care what the on line table says, I rang up and spoke to a person and that is what I was quoted.

Even at £560, do you honestly believe that is an alternative to taking your own vehicle?

Best Answer

Absolutely true stephen, even in London where travel is subsidised by good ol' mayor Ken, my bf and I still took the car to watch Aresnal play the other day cos even with the parking at £7 it was cheaper than the train tickets from one side of the river to the other!

Long distance tho you can shop around, I was quoted £190 for a trip from Kings cross to Darlington, I got it on the internet for £12!!!!

• Pamela

I choose to use public transport. All in all it's much cheaper than paying all the costs which are involved in the running of a car; petrol, parking, insurance, road tax and maintenance. Often when buses are late it's because of traffic. I think that too many people drive with just one person in their car. The number of cars on the road would be so much less if people just car shared. Public transport does need a lot of improvement. If the demand was greater perhaps things would improve at a faster pace.

My God .. how much? Did you tell them you didn't want to buy the train just 6 tickets for you & your family.

It usually costs me around £87 for an open return from Newcastle - Gt Yarmouth. (pp) but if you get an Apex ticket which you have to book at least 7 days in advance tell them the time you wish to leave & the return time they will get the nearest train to that time & it usually costs £54 (pp) big saving £33. each

I think the price you were quoted was off the radar screen

Wow get a taxi for less! Thats mad.

Drive and leave your car at the airport, that would probably cost less.

We are not going to give up our cars to pay these prices are we? get a quote from your local cab firm, it will be a lot cheaper.

you can buy a bus for that.....and make some money by picking up on the way in !

Do you want to borrow my family rail card?

I'd rather walk than pay that amount. x

i can't drive and always use the bus and train, i find the prices quite reasonable and the journey time is also much less than in a car

that's insane!!!

You'd be cheaper buying a car and driving yourself!