Do i need to upgrade my PSU to get a new video card?

the video card that im planning to get is

ATI Radeon X1600 Pro / 512MB DDR2 / PCI Express / DVI / VGA / TV Out / Crossfire Ready / Video Card

i've read that the card runs at 40 watts.my computer is a gateway GT5244E.it only has a 300 PSU,and i've done NUMEROUS calculations online and found out that my computer runs BELOW 240 watts.so im thinking that the extra 40 watts from the video card is'nt gonna do harm right?the highest wattage that i got from a calculator is 240 watts,and the LOWEST wattage i got from a calculator is 214 Watts.so i should be okay with the upgrade right?

scratch that highest wattage number.i forgot to add my PCI express 16X and then i calculated and the wattage went up to 295watts.. :/

keep in mind that this is under the heaviest CPU load,for example start-up,so when my system is idle it should NOT go past 300watts

i think i'll upgrade the PSU too just so i wont fry my computer LOL

yeah ima upgrade it,which brand would you guys recommend?im planning on getting a 400 watter.

thanks u.s soldier,and how do i know if a PSU will fit in my case?

first off venom i dont need 750 watts.thats overkill.and as for the card,im set on the one i chose.

Favorite Answer

I would advise you to upgrade your PSU. They are really not that expensive, anything 400watts and above will do just fine.

As a rule of thumb for any upgraded video card its a must to have a 450watt or better to reduce strain on the system. The wattage they advertise is not a 100% bbecause what they tested it on and what your system are two different setups. So your usage will all ways be different then what they use. Another thing that will make it change is how efficient they system uses a power as a whole. Plus you may have just enough to run everything but that's not a guarantee that it could creep closer to your limit and cause damage to your system.

• Venom

Those items are weak, especially the video card, not even worth the circuit board it's printed on!

I suggest more power like this:

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad 750W ATX V2.2 EPS12V 24PIN SLI Active PFC Power Supply Black

&

EVGA E-GEFORCE 8800GTS 500MHZ 640MB 1.6GHZ GDDR3 Dual DVI-I HDTV Out HDCP DIRECTX10 Video Card

Now that's an upgrade

it will probably be fine ... but a good solid psu will stabalize ur system so maybe get one later when u can afford it ..