Infra-sound in music?

could anyone please suggest some pieces in which the composer uses infra-sound?

Favorite Answer

I've been a professional in the music business for nearly 30 years and I'm not aware of any composer deliberately using infrasound - after all there are proven psychological and physical dangers attached. In addition, there are no standard instruments capable of producing such sounds. The lowest octave of the largest organs (those with 32' stops) can become hard to discern and, at its lowest end (sub-contra C @ 16Hz) is indeed reaching the very limit of human audibility.

There are one or two organs around the world with a 64' stop (sub-sub-contra C @ 8Hz) and several more with a 'stopped' 32' range (giving an artificial 64' tone) but, to my knowledge, no-one has exploited this infrasonic range for its own sake.

To hear the lowest grumblings of the largest instruments, try the organ works of Olivier Messiaen (1908-1992) and György Ligeti (1923-2006).

I don't think that any classical composers ever used infra-sound.