Why is it that so many americans can only qualify for subprime mortgage loans to buy a house?

I have not seen the foreclosure problem discussed from this point of view. I have heard the lenders blamed for being greedy, I have heard borrowers blamed for being greedy and stupid. But isn't the real problem that we have a nation full of people whose credit is in the toilet and they cannot qualify for a... show more I have not seen the foreclosure problem discussed from this point of view.
I have heard the lenders blamed for being greedy, I have heard borrowers blamed for being greedy and stupid. But isn't the real problem that we have a nation full of people whose credit is in the toilet and they cannot qualify for a regular "non-subprime" mortgage? WHY ARE SO MANY PEOPLE ONLY ABLE TO BUY HOMES BY GETTING MORTGAGES FOR MEANT FOR HIGHER RISK BORROWERS???
Update: I think still that some of you are still not admitting that in addition to the things you say about about personal responsiblity, there is also a deteriation of the american dream. You know the one that if you get at least a high school education, that you should be able to be a middle class person who can raise... show more I think still that some of you are still not admitting that in addition to the things you say about about personal responsiblity, there is also a deteriation of the american dream. You know the one that if you get at least a high school education, that you should be able to be a middle class person who can raise a family and own a decent home. I think the thing that is not being admitted is that there are many variables also working against the american worker which has put more stress on them financially..like health care expensiveness, gas prices, outsourcing of jobs, illegal aliens taking away jobs and depressing wages etc...
I think that all of this things are in their own small way complicit in the attack on the american middle class and the american dream. People's credit sucks yes partly maybe from lack of wise decision making, but if the whole nation is in the toilet, there is more at play that some of us dont want to admit.
Update 2: The other thing some of you do is assume that the subprime mortgage is only there so people can by more house. Yes that is true in part, but many people get those loans not to buy more house, but because they need to buy a house period. One other point is that this crisis may be related to the new credit... show more The other thing some of you do is assume that the subprime mortgage is only there so people can by more house. Yes that is true in part, but many people get those loans not to buy more house, but because they need to buy a house period.

One other point is that this crisis may be related to the new credit scoring computerized system that was implemented some years back. Many people who can afford a mortgage and pay bills generally on time, are left out in the cold from a "good" mortgage simply because the computer says their credit score is x and x means they are not qualifed for a standard mortgage.