Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 1 decade ago

1 year old refuses to wear shoes!?

My Daughter is 12 months now and nearly walking independently but refuses to wear shoes! She will wear socks, and we have tried all different types including the pre walking ones with flexible soles but she screams and refuses to walk in them. I don't mind if she is just around the house, but it is difficult to put her down when we go out. Any tips?

Favorite Answer

Take her with you when you go shoe shopping. Let her choose which ones she likes. That'll probably work.

I didn't start trying to put shoes on daughter till she was trying to walk and she too hated them..I would get one on and by the time I got the other on she took the first one off...as she got more independent on walking tho she started getting used to the shoes. I started buying shoes that were hard for her to take off or mess with and now she loves them. She trys to put them on herself and doesn't matter if we go places or not she wants her shoes!

Source(s): mom of 1 and 1 on the way

she definitely needs to wear them when she goes outside... my son is 1 also, and walking very well, so we bought him 1 pair of the pediped shoes. He doesn't mind them very much... they have velcro on them. We let him play with them when he isn't wearing them so he would get used to them... maybe you could try that...

maybe you could make a big scene about how you and daddy have to put on shoes before you go outside...

Hmmm... thinking of my 1 year old, he is still a little bit young for trickery (here is candy if you where your shoes...) so I would just focus on examples. Go outside and if she wants down, then you sit down on the floor/ground and say, only if you put your shoes on... and don't let her down until she does...

Good luck!

Let her be, you could still try to put them on her if she doesn't want them she'll be fine. My son is also a year old and hates shoes, so we go every where in socks. It won't hurt them to go without shoes, and it won't effect her walking. Most doctors recommend infants learn to walk without shoes. She'll eventually come around

I would just pick a day where you get to be home with her all day, and are in a good, patient mood, put the shoes on her and let her scream. She will get use to them eventually. My nephew had this issue with underwear and we did the same thing. He eventually just accepted it and got use to it.

• TELL HER YOU WILL GIVE HER HER FAVORITE TREAT LIKE A COOKIE IF SHE PUTS THEM ON OR THAT YOU WILL TAKE HER TO THE PARK LATER..MAYBE SHE DOESNT LIKE THE SHOES..TRY BUYING HER SOME CUTE ONES.LET HER CHOOSE THEM THAT WAY SHE WILL ALWAYS WANT TO WEAR THEM.

GOOD LUCK HOPE I HELPED!

• Axl

try sandals then shoes and reward her for wering them like a candy or cookie

character slippers would probably be a fascination

Im not trying to be cold, but she needs to step on a few things on her own and then she will wear them. She will make her own desisions.

footy pajamas