Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 decade ago

What does the old saying "The son of the shoemaker has no shoes" mean? Not literally please =P?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The original version of that is "The cobbler's children go unshod." It means that the cobbler spends so much time looking afer his customers' needs that he has no time for his children's. The concept applies generally to outward looking people. Mrs Jellybelly in Dicken's "Bleak House" is classic example. A woman of moderate means but hugely developed social conscience who spends all her time sponsoring a tribe in Africa while her own children starve.

• 1 decade ago

The shoemaker is always too busy making shoes for other people to make a pair for his own child. In other words, we often get so tired up in our work and providing for others that we forget to take care of our own children

• 1 decade ago

It is stating the irony of what we might do for employment vs. what we may lack at home.

Examples:

I've seen messy homes of people who make their living cleaning.

My boss used to be in charge huge assets and financial accountability, but had bad personal credit.

• 7 years ago

There's an equivalent old saying in Spanish: "En casa del herrero, cuchillo de palo". "In the blacksmith's house, wooden knife."

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

More details required

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

is anyone able to tell me what is the right answer for this question?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.