Muslims: Can a female follow Islam and NOT wear Hajab?

Serious question, I want to learn: What would happen if a Muslim women wanted to attend the mosque not wearing hajab (in North America)? Would she be removed? Can Muslim women claim to be Muslim if they do not practice Hajab? Anyone here who does this? How do people react? Is it true that Christianity also once... show more Serious question, I want to learn: What would happen if a Muslim women wanted to attend the mosque not wearing hajab (in North America)? Would she be removed? Can Muslim women claim to be Muslim if they do not practice Hajab? Anyone here who does this? How do people react? Is it true that Christianity also once promoted covering? Is it possible that although God/Allah wants us all to dress modestly, it was MAN who misunderstood and manipulated that passage to mean that women must be covered from head to toe?
Update: I'd prefer *REAL* answers from actual Muslims, please!
Update 2: Dolph...that would be "khimār"....is that not mentioned? Perhaps I am using the wrong terminology...
Update 3: Please note that I find Islam fascinating and am Christian. This is a respectful question from someone who is truly curious.