Belial asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

What's the difference between Zoloft and Effexor?

i was on zoloft a few years ago and didnt like it. now my dr has me on effexor. i looked thru the literature and online, and chemically, im not really sure what the diffrence is.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Zoloft and Effexor are NOT the same. Here is the scoop:

Effexor is an SNRI (Serotonin and Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitor). It works on TWO brain neurotransmitters (serotonin and norepinephrine). At lower doses (37.5mg-75mg) it works ONLY on serotonin. Only at higher doses (150mg-300mg) does its "dual mechanism" effect occur. Effexor has a relatively short half-life, meaning that it needs to be taken with greater frequency to keep a plateau amount of medication in one's body. That is why the drug company created Effexor XR (extended-release formula). Effexor can lower the seizure threshold in people who have a history of seizures, but more frequently can cause complications in people who have hypertension (high blood pressure). Effexor is one NASTY medication to quit cold turkey - although it is not dangerous, it is highly uncomfortable. It's one of the worst for abrupt discontinuation, Paxil being notoriously the worst.

Zoloft is an SSRI (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor). It works on ONE brain neurotransmitter (serotonin) at all dosage forms (25mg-200mg). It is taken only once a day (normally in the morning) and does not have an extended release formula. The generic is cheap. It has few side effects and people with multiple medical problems can take it. It should not be stopped abruptly; although stopping it abruptly is not dangerous, it is fairly uncomfortable - resulting in numerous physiological and psychological symptoms. For people with high levels of anxiety, the higher doses of Effexor can do more harm than good, as the inhibition of norepinephrine reuptake is thought to play a role in anxiety.

Hope that helps.

Source(s): I'm a mental health clinician.
  • puls
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Effexor Vs Zoloft

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What's the difference between Zoloft and Effexor?

i was on zoloft a few years ago and didnt like it. now my dr has me on effexor. i looked thru the literature and online, and chemically, im not really sure what the diffrence is.

Source(s): 39 difference zoloft effexor: https://biturl.im/pt5M5
  • xo379
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Effexor is an SNRI--a Serotonin-Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitor. Zoloft is an SSRI--a Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor. Basically, Zoloft affects the serotonin levels in your brain; Effexor affects both the serotonin AND norepinephrine levels.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Call your pharmacist. Zoloft and Effexor are in the same "group" of anti-depressants, like Prozac. A pharmacist can explain how zoloft and effexor are the same and also how they may be different.

Pharmacists are SO smart, I have found that they often know more than many doctors. The pharmacist will also be able to recommend another one that might be better for you. :)

Source(s): Nurse.
  • Grace
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axPCU

effexor affects two brain chemicals(serotonin and norepinephrine); zoloft affects just one (serotonin). both can cause some crazy symptoms, so be well informed about these drugs. i know for sure that a lot of people on venlafaxine can have debilitating withdrawl symptoms if they forget a dose. in contrast, cocaine affects serotonin and norepinephrine. so cocaine would be the most effective, but it is not exactly legal is it??

• 1 decade ago

having took both,i went w/effexor,for the simple reason that it last longer w/out the long time efect of feeling lost or left out,since i stated taking it regular,i feel real good most of the time,where ifelt down an sleepy on zoloft

• Marie
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

correct. they are like cousins. there are only minor differences in the drugs. correct they both do the same thing. but some people have different reactions. if its a side effect you can live with than the doctor will say keep taking it,

• 1 decade ago

don't know personally but I use the www.mayoclinic.com website a lot-they have a drug reference listing that is quite extensive. You might also try googling "physician's desk reference" . I know there is a website and you might find more info there.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.