i am a freshman and planning to be a lawyer i wanted 2 know if tsking latin is a good idea and in wntr session

Best Answer

It is an excellent choice, but probably not for the reason you were thinking. There are Latin words in law, but not that many - and you soon become familiar with them all. Current practice is to use less and less Latin. I saw a news note recently (unsubstantiated) the courts in the UK have actually banned use of Latin.

Where it will help is with your understanding and use of English. Let's face it - the only tangible product a lawyer produces is in the form of written documents. Many words in English have Latin origins (about 60%), so an understanding of Latin will help give you a basis for understanding the differences and shades of meaning between different words and will generally broaden your vocabulary - a valuable tool for someone whose product is words.

I'm going to say that Latin is completely unnecessary if you want to be a lawyer. I just graduated from law school and passed the bar, and not once did I find myself saying, "Boy, I wish I knew Latin so I could better understand this." What few Latin phrases still used in legal jargon are easy to remember and easy to find in a Black's Law Dictionary.

(PS - I went to U.S. law schools)

I heard from someone who went to law school that you should take latin. So many things in law are based from latin words.

it certainly won't hurt and would be an awesome thing to do. there are so many words that come from latin origins! if your school offers it, take advantage of that!

• Lee

Latin is an *excellent* choice if you are pre-law.