What are the percent natural abundance of each potassium isotope?
Potassium has two main isotopes, potassium-39 and potassium-41. Potassium-39 has an atomic mass of 38.964 amu, and potassium-41 has and atomic mass of 40.962 amu. According to the periodic table of the elements, potassium has an average atomic mass of 39.098 amu. What are the percent abundances of each potassium isotope?
I also need an explanation of how it was done, mathematically. It says to show my work, but I have no clue.
- Steve OLv 71 decade agoFavorite Answer
Natural Abundance & Half-life
K-39 93.2581% Stable
K-40 0.0117% 1.265×10+9 years
K-41 6.7302% Stable
- 4 years ago
If there are two isotopes and one is 19%, then the other must be 81%. They must total to 100%