Is it me or does America have a 'thing' with "katrina" victims? Every show, they're the underdog, boo hoo.

Every show I see, if there is someone from LA, they get an applause and feel pity for them. I'm all about helping the fellow man, but even chefs on the food shows are winning (in my opinion) scholarships because they are down and out in LA. Why is america so boo hoo about Katrina victims and 9/11 been there, suffered, got mad, donated money, bought the T-shirt. Time to move on. It's been six years. Let's move on and fix it. Not give these people pitty trips. Rebuild that's what we need to do, not give pitty. Stop feeling sorry for 9/11 workers and Katrina victims.

Favorite Answer

You need to watch an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm. They took in some Katrina victems and it is hilarious. You need some levity around some of this. But in the end, you are right, we need to get busy with the practical help and stop planning to plan.

Stop feeling sorry for 9/11 workers and Katrina victims?? What kind of person are you? Ever lost someone to something as horrible as 9/11? Ever sent a loved one to work and they never came home? Sent your child to daycare and they died? Said "call me when you land" to family or friends and they landed in flames? Who are you to decide how much sympathy and empathy someone should receive over a tragedy? You think that someone who lost everything they owned including all family pictures and things they worked their whole lives for shouldn't have some type empathy? Why is that? The damage from Katrina is still being fixed. It wasn't just a little storm that did some damage and a year later they were done. This will take many years to repair and fix. It destroyed the economy there. Destroyed jobs, homes and families. They lost loved ones never to be seen or found. They lost more they you will ever feel or know about. It is obvious from your "so called" question you feel nothing for anyone but yourself.

I still feel for 9/11 victims because in a way we(Americans) are all victims of that day. I think we should always remember what happened. And also because of 9/11 Americans and our Government will forever use what happened as an excuse to do whatever the h**l they want. So in that respect I think we need to let it rest. But Katrina victims are different to me. I feel for the animals, elderly and children, but the rest of them could have and should have left when they had the chance. So I feel no pity for them. Because they were too stupid/lazy to leave everyone else has to feel pity?? Not me. I would only assume that's kinda the risk you decide to take when you choose to live BELOW sea level.

Katrina was a horrible ordeal, as are most natural disasters. While I don't feel pity, I do feel empathy for some. I agree with you, it's time to move on, not dwell on the past-woulda-shoulda-coulda thing. Learn from what the past has taught you. I feel like this is publicized more because it affected a greater amount of lives as did 9/11. And that my friend, sad but true, makes money for television networks. People need not forget but continue on and strive for better.

You're talking about people who lost their homes, all of their belongings, and loved ones.

Think about your entire life being rip from under you like a cheap rug.

With regards to 9/11, many of those children only have one parent now. These organizations are trying to make the kids live's as much like how they would have been if they didn't lose their parent.

I agree that the media over does it sometimes, but the organizations have a good cause in mind and ultimately, all you have to do is not participate for it not to affect you.

Personally, I'm looking for a place to donate for the fires here in CA. Last count I heard was that there were 8 and just under a million people have been evacuated. More than Katrina!

Yes, these tragedies did happen a long time ago, and many of the victims have rebuilt their lives since them - but many haven't been able to, and they are the ones that need our help.

These "pity parties" are an attempt to rebuild. If an event can build compassion and pity for someone, then other people will be motivated to help by offering the resources and connections needed to rebuild these cities and these lives.

You don't have to donate if you don't want to, but there's no need to discourage compassion in those who DO want to help.

Why should we forget. The reason people are still talking about it is because some people are forgetting and nothing is being done. The US government, in my opinion, has forgotten abut 9/11. Where is Osama Bin Laden? He killed over 5,000 of our American people; sons, daughters, mother, and fathers. I believe before we got involved in the war in Iraq we should have handle the 9/11 situation. This man is sending us tapes and taunting us; he thinks he's gotten away with it and he has. I feel bad for all those people who lost loved ones. I really do. I pray one day we do catch Bin Laden.

Have you been to Louisiana? Have you seen what happened there?

I went last summer and it was terrible. I never thought it would affect me the way it did, but I was in tears by the time we made it to the French Quarter.

It looked like a bomb had taken the entire place out!

They do deserve pity! They aren't getting any resolution with the crooks that we call Insurance Companies! A lot of them still can't go home, and have lost all of their worldly possessions.

That's cold-blooded. When ur family members r wiped out by terrorists or massive flooding, then u can come back and say "Boo Hoo- It's been 6 years, I'm over it!"

Wow. That's a little harsh. So how do you feel about the people affected by the Southern California wildfires? If you're so sick of hearing it, stop listening.