Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 1 decade ago

Are all vegans anti-abortion?

Or does their anti-cruel stance only apply to animals?

Personally, I am pro-meat, pro-choice.

But I never judge others for THEIR stance like the anti-meaters do.

• Skully
    Favorite Answer

I think you have asked an excellent question ... if they are true to their vegan ethic ... they should all be anti-abortion. But as you can see from some of the answers there is a lot of "discomfort" from these hypocrites.

Please note: That REAL vegans that you find in other parts of the world are definitely "anti-abortion" as they take "reverence for all life" very literally and applied to ALL lifeforms. The "wannabes" on this forum are "vegans of conveneince" ... whatever suits them they do.

• lo_mcg

No, vegans have a range of opinions on every issue, just like any other section of the population.

This is the reply I gave when this question was asked yesterday, including my response to Jenasaurus:

'I'm vegan and I'm pro-choice. I don't see the two as being connected in any way.

I support a woman's right to control her own fertility, by legal abortion if necessary, eg when contraception fails, as it sometimes does.

Whenever this question is raised on V&V several very young people, usually still at school, with limited life experience inevitably answer this question by saying 'protection works, use it or don't have sex or go ahead with any pregnancy'.

It is ludicrous to talk of using abortion as contraception; nobody does that. Abortion is usually a difficult decision and is a hideous experience that no woman goes ahead with lightly.

I have had an abortion too. Years ago I was in a desperate situation and could see no other way out. I have no regrets about the decision I took and never have had, though I wish the situation had never happened. I can tell you that if I had not been living in a country where abortion was legal I would have found a way to have that abortion somehow. That is what happens in countries where there is no legal abortion and it is what happened before abortion was legalised in other countries. Stories of backstreet abortionists and desperate women self aborting with knitting needles, coat hangers and other implements are horrific, but true. Countless women have died in this way.

It's poorer women who resort to such measures - well-off women have always been able to buy abortion, legal or not, and in any case can afford to provide for children.

So no, there's no contradiction. In fact being pro-choice shows greater compassion and humanity in my opinion.

Jenasauras, words almost fail me. Your argument is one of the most self-righteous, ignorant and judgemental I’ve ever come across, totally devoid of any compassion or kindness.'

--------------------------------------------------------

Skully: no 'discomfort' here. There's no connection between the two positions and no contradiction at all in being vegan and pro-choice. One day when you've time will you tell us all about these 'other parts of the world' (other than where btw?) where the 'REAL' vegans live? Where they are , how much time you spent/spend there, did you live among the REAL vegans for long, do they know you consider yourself an expert on what they think and do? That kind of thing? I know you consider yourself our intellectual superior, but we'll try to keep up. Thanks.

why are you asking a question and then saying that all vegans have the same opinion like how we all judge meat eaters. you just judged every anti meat eater in the world while in the same sentect saying that you "never judge others" how stupid. sounds like your the one being judgmental. i am totally pro choice and a vegan. ooo is ur head gonna explode because someone screwed up your stead fast misconceptions! im worried....being vegan is exactly about the freedom of choice. animals should have the choice to live how they wish and so should women. and yes i am anti-cruelty, and pro choice because i dont think that abortion is cruel. and while many people will try to convince you that you are killing a "baby" its a ball of indescriminate cells. thats not a baby. its a blastoderm. it may or may not grow into a baby one day, but for the time being, by all sense of the word it is not a "baby". it cant feel pain or anything else. theres no nervous system. and how can someone have this heartache for a blastoderm but show absolutely no compassion for a sentient being that can feel pain. and i pity the people who think that mothers would use abortion as a means of "population control" you are sick...soooo sick

Yes, because that makes perfect sense.

A vegetarian should believe that taking milk/eggs is immoral because it's stealing.

A vegetarian should believe that killing an animal is wrong because it's inhumane, unnecessary.

A vegetarian should believe taking wool is wrong because it's taking from that animal.

But forcing a person through a pregnancy they don't want, violating the same basic human rights that they wish to use to protect animals, and of course putting children into positions where they may be harmed or otherwise in a place where they aren't wanted. All for the sake of something that can't sustain itself, can't survive without a host, should all be what vegetarians are for.

No, since the two issues are not directly linked you are going to find some on one side, some on the other.

I think you should note that the anti-abortion stance wants to outlaw abortion while vegetarians, generally speaking, are not pushing to outlaw meat. So while I can see why you might have seen a connection, the comparison doesn't really hold water.

I once ate meat, and now I know it is wrong and have stopped. I try to persuade others to think like me, but do not try to force them to do anything against their will (ie passing laws against it), because I don't think that tactic will work.

Similarly I once had an abortion and regret it wholeheartedly. I would never do it again and I try to convince others not to by donating to charities that help women prevent and deal with unexpected pregnancies, not by making people do things against their will (ie passing laws against it). Once again, this is because I don't think banning it will work.

I imagine any other given vegan/vegetarian will have a different take on the issue.

I'm pro-choice cuz I *chose* to be vegan. Personally, I would never have an abortion. Even though I'm well aware that abortions have occurred since the beginning of time, by way of holly berries and such. But, no, I would not personally have an abortion. But why I say personally is because I do believe in choice and I don't rally my personal choices - I'm not up in anyone's face screaming not to have an abortion just like I'm not in anyone's face screaming not to eat meat. I think death sucks all around. But I also think life does in many aspects and that's why I don't go around "f*cking" and when I happen to have sex, I use protection.

I find those Bible-thumping "pro-choice" people even more baffling. . .the ones who think that abortion is so horrible but find it perfectly acceptable to send that baby off to kill other babies and die in a war 18 years later. . .

Actually, most vegans/vegetarians that I know are pro-"choice" (I hate that phrase), which is kind of ironic, but also kind of not. It's ironic because, why would they care about saving animals when they don't care about saving human babies? It's not ironic, because people who aren't pro-life don't view abortion as murder.

My brother used to have a bumper sticker which will probably get me a bunch of thumbs down here on the vegan/vegetarian page, but I alway thought it was clever: "Meat is food. Fur is clothing. Abortion is murder."

I am anti-abortion and pro-choice.

To be more accurate, veganism is about each individual having control over their own body without others interfering.

This basically means that veganism is pro-choice.

On the contrary, I believe that abortion is damaging to everyone involved, but I don't have a uterus, now do I?

---------------------------------------------------------------

me - I don't think that anyone should eat meat or have an abortion unless their life depends on it. Why do you ask?

Are you implying that there is a way for me to control what other people do? I am aware of the fact that I can't and I have no desire to at the moment.

I'm anti-abortion but against making it illegal.

Basically, I'm not a fundamentalist. I don't know if any sane person isn't anti-abortion. I may not be "pro-life" and don't want to kill people for having abortions or performing them but I am anti-abortion just like any sober person that isn't a prostitute.

I don't hold anyone in a dim light. I have never walked in another's shoes.

• stroh

definitely... there is not any actual factor in conflict, "they don't have faith like we do! we kill them!"... merely enable them to stay their lives and artwork on your FAILING country (rather of growing to be a million/2 the international hate you and want you to burn...) Deforestation, no factor... "oh we want paper, and paper is produced from timber", truly? I heard cannibus is a lots lots extra powerful and much less environmentaly impacting source for paper... for timber? how approximately this concept (don't get misplaced) advance... your... very own... timber... rather of destroying centuries previous habitats for probably endangered species. vegan, in spite of the incontrovertible fact that i don't get... no meat? we've 4 tooth named after the proper land predator (imo) that has ever observed mankind... as properly, why are carnivorus conduct undesirable? Are wolves undesirable for our environment as properly? could desire to our wild brethren turn vegan as properly? now we get to the abortion area... international inhabitants is hitting an alltime severe, homes are harder to locate and extra costly than ever, starvation is reaching new peaks, and we at the instant have sufficient inhabitants to cover better than an entire continent, and spot the mass in area (merely announcing... we are far from endangered). i think of that while you're professional-life, don't get knocked up... have in straightforward terms a million baby and help spay and neuter your friends... while you're professional-determination, occasion, and don't care what you do considering the fact which you will merely have an abortion and shop you're line from persevering with.

Someone just asked this yesterday. Here's what I said:

"I am a strict vegetarian (vegan in most respects) and consider myself an animal activist and I am pro-choice. I do think that people who have abortions are about as low as you can possibly get and think they are horrible people, but I still believe everyone should have a choice because any mother that would suck her baby out of her body and deny it the chance to grow into a little child probably shouldn't be a mother anyway and I even believe that Nature has allowed people to evolve into such heartless monsters as a means of population control."

There's a difference between making a decision for yourself and your offspring and making a choice that effects others (like animals). I'm pro-choice for cow moms to kill their babies, too!