Just bought an HDTV big screen and now am being told I will NOT receive in HD w/o cable.?

Why must I have to get cable or dish in order to enjoy my new TV which is supposed to be HDTV ?? Is there any way to get HD programming w/o cable or dish??? Please enlighten me on this. All I have to use is either my old inside attic antenna or a Terk antenna which will sit on the shelf of the stand underneath... show more Why must I have to get cable or dish in order to enjoy my new TV which is supposed to be HDTV ?? Is there any way to get HD programming w/o cable or dish??? Please enlighten me on this. All I have to use is either my old inside attic antenna or a Terk antenna which will sit on the shelf of the stand underneath the TV. What more do I need???? Since I have bought this new TV, everything I had needed up-dating. Now I have a DVD player/recorder w/built-in tuner and a new surround sound system. Now am told NO HD unless I get cable???? No Thanx. I have saved for these items and do not want a $50 pmt monthly for channels I do not even want. HELP !!!!